Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Quantum computing uses

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    With the development of quantum computing, just how much could it improve our lives. Obviously faster computing, but could we begin to do things than conventional computer can't?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The prospects of quantum computing seem to be very limited. There are some types of problems for which it is very much faster than regular computers and many more for which it is likely slower.

It is NOT in general "faster computing" for all algorithms.

4. Jan 4, 2017 #3
    If a qubit is both 1 and 2 at the same time, how would this not result in generally faster computing?

5. Jan 4, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know enough to answer that but it's more complicated than you think. There are numerous threads here on PF about quantum computing. I suggest a forum search. As always, a good place to start is with the links at the bottom of the thread.

6. Jan 4, 2017 #5
    thanks for the suggestion!

7. Jan 4, 2017 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It isn't.

8. Jan 4, 2017 #7
    0 and 1 is what i meant to say

9. Jan 4, 2017 #8

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Doesn't change the answer. Quantum superposition does not mean the qubit has both values at the same time.

10. Jan 4, 2017 #9

PeterDonis

2016 Award

This from Scott Aaronson is worth reading. It's a cartoon, yes, but the points it makes about quantum computing are valid (Aaronson is a well-known expert in the field).

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-3

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted