Quantum Computing: Benefits & Possibilities

In summary: Doesn't change the answer. Quantum superposition does not mean the qubit has both values at the same time.This from Scott Aaronson is worth reading. It's a cartoon, yes, but the points it makes about quantum computing are valid (Aaronson is a well-known expert in the field).
ChrisisC
With the development of quantum computing, just how much could it improve our lives. Obviously faster computing, but could we begin to do things than conventional computer can't?

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisisC said:
With the development of quantum computing, just how much could it improve our lives. Obviously faster computing, but could we begin to do things than conventional computer can't?
The prospects of quantum computing seem to be very limited. There are some types of problems for which it is very much faster than regular computers and many more for which it is likely slower.

It is NOT in general "faster computing" for all algorithms.

phinds said:
The prospects of quantum computing seem to be very limited. There are some types of problems for which it is very much faster than regular computers and many more for which it is likely slower.

It is NOT in general "faster computing" for all algorithms.

If a qubit is both 1 and 2 at the same time, how would this not result in generally faster computing?

ChrisisC said:
If a qubit is both 1 and 2 at the same time, how would this not result in generally faster computing?
I don't know enough to answer that but it's more complicated than you think. There are numerous threads here on PF about quantum computing. I suggest a forum search. As always, a good place to start is with the links at the bottom of the thread.

phinds said:
I don't know enough to answer that but it's more complicated than you think. There are numerous threads here on PF about quantum computing. I suggest a forum search. As always, a good place to start is with the links at the bottom of the thread.

thanks for the suggestion!

ChrisisC said:
If a qubit is both 1 and 2 at the same time

It isn't.

PeterDonis said:
It isn't.

0 and 1 is what i meant to say

ChrisisC said:
0 and 1 is what i meant to say

Doesn't change the answer. Quantum superposition does not mean the qubit has both values at the same time.

This from Scott Aaronson is worth reading. It's a cartoon, yes, but the points it makes about quantum computing are valid (Aaronson is a well-known expert in the field).

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-3

What is quantum computing?

Quantum computing is a form of computing that utilizes principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. This allows for faster and more complex calculations compared to classical computing.

What are the benefits of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to significantly improve computational speed and efficiency, making it ideal for solving complex problems and performing data-intensive tasks. It can also lead to advancements in fields such as cryptography, chemistry, and machine learning.

What are the limitations of quantum computing?

One of the main limitations of quantum computing is the fragility of quantum systems, making it difficult to maintain and control the necessary conditions for accurate calculations. Additionally, quantum computers are currently limited in their ability to perform certain types of calculations and are not yet widely available for commercial use.

What are some possible applications of quantum computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to greatly impact a variety of industries, including finance, healthcare, and transportation. For example, it could be used to optimize financial portfolios, develop more accurate drug simulations, and improve traffic flow.

How does quantum computing differ from classical computing?

The main difference between quantum and classical computing is the way data is processed. Classical computers use binary bits (0s and 1s) to store and process information, while quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits) that can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to perform calculations in parallel, making them much faster and more efficient than classical computers for certain types of problems.