Quantum Computing | Computer Science Career Guide

In summary: If I were to pursue a career in QC, I would need to get some solid foundational knowledge in physics.
santrack
Hi! I'm currently doing final year engineering in Computer Science. I've read some documentations about Quantum computing and I have a strong impulse to pursue a career in Quantum computing. The problem is I am very weak in Physics and it is been past four years I forgotten eveything what I have read in Physics. So, is there any way I can pursue a degree in Quantum computing. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there are degrees in Quantum computing yet.
There are certainly courses but most of them tend to focus on the quantum mechanics of single bits (i.e. qubits), i.e. essentially "applied quantum mechanics".

Could you be more specific about what you are interested in?
Are you interested in "software" (error correction codes, gates etc) or "hardware" (the physics). The former seems to be done mainly by people with a background in math/CS and the latter by physicists specializing in whatever "platform" they are using (everything from liquid state NMR to superconductivity).
QC is already a huge, interdiciplinary, field.

If you want to get some idea about what the field is like I would recommend a book by Nielsen&Chuang (I don't remember the title) which is used by just about everyone in the field and in most courses on QC; it is also relatively easy to read and you do not need to know a lot about quantum mechanics to at least understand the basics.

Thanks for the reply and recommendation, really appreciable.

Could you please suggest me some books to understand the basics of Quantum mechanics?

Even if I want to study about Quantum computing, should I get some books and start reading or are there any courses regarding QC?

Thank you.

Take a look at N. David Mermin's latest pedagogical book, "Quantum Computer Science: An Introduction".

Quantum computing is a multi-disciplinary field. It is a mix of computer science, mathematics, computer engineering, and physics. Don't let the "quantum" part fool you into thinking that QCing is 99% physics.

Quantum computing is probably the one area I would research in. Too bad I didn't get into Waterloo or any physics graduate school with a decent quantum computing area.

What is Quantum Computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing technology that uses the principles of quantum mechanics to perform computations. Unlike classical computing, which uses bits to store and process information, quantum computing uses quantum bits, or qubits, which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This allows quantum computers to solve certain problems much faster than classical computers.

What are the potential applications of Quantum Computing?

Quantum computing has the potential to revolutionize many industries, such as finance, healthcare, and transportation. Some potential applications include drug discovery, optimization of financial portfolios, and development of new materials. It could also help with tasks such as weather forecasting, encryption, and artificial intelligence.

How does Quantum Computing differ from Classical Computing?

Classical computing uses classical bits, which can only exist in two states (0 or 1), to store and process information. Quantum computing, on the other hand, uses qubits, which can exist in multiple states at the same time. This allows quantum computers to perform certain calculations much faster than classical computers, making them more efficient for certain types of problems.

What are the challenges facing Quantum Computing?

Quantum computing is still in its early stages of development and faces several challenges. One major challenge is the fragile nature of qubits, which are easily affected by outside interference. This makes it difficult to maintain the integrity of the computations. Additionally, quantum computers require extremely low temperatures and specialized equipment, making them expensive and difficult to scale.

What skills and education are needed to pursue a career in Quantum Computing?

A career in quantum computing typically requires a strong background in computer science, mathematics, and physics. A degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field is usually required, along with knowledge of quantum mechanics and programming languages such as Python. Strong problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills are also important for success in this field.