1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum computing

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    I'm interested in doing research in quantum computing. By that I mainly mean the algorithms and theoretical computer science part, not the experimental part. How much quantum mechanics do I need to know for that? Is the standard undergraduate Griffiths level enough? Do I need to know quantum field theory? What kind of math should I study for that? Is topological quantum computing something an applied mathematician should study or is it just pure mathematics?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hey ehrenfest. I really don't know how much QM you'd need to know to work in theory but I do work as an internin an Exp Quantum computing lab. I have a griffiths level education in quantum and I am able to get by. Alot still goes over my head though.

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    The TCS people in quantum computing generally know as much QM as you can get out of the Nielsen and Chuang book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?