Kinetic Energy in terms of Conjugate Momenta

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the kinetic energy diagonal when converting to coordinates that diagonalize the potential energy. The speaker asks for assistance in spotting any mistakes and in finding other ways to diagonalize both the potential and conjugate momenta. The conversation then delves into the process of making a transformation and calculating partial derivatives in the new coordinate frame. The speaker also mentions that their choice of U may not be unique and references further reading for understanding this exceptional case of degeneracy.
MisterX
Thanks if you take the time to read this.

Homework Statement

a9UJ4sK.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm getting is that I'm not getting the kinetic energy diagonal when I convert to the coordinates that diagonalize the potential energy. If you scroll all the way down you should see there's a cross derivative term involving the partial derivatives w.r.t.[itex]q_1[/itex]and [itex]q_1[/itex]. I'm not able to spot any significant mistakes. So is there some other way to diagonalize both the potential and the conjugate momenta in the new coordinates? Is there something I'm missing? How does the [itex]\frac{1}{2(2M + m_2)}[/itex] factor come into play?

First we make a transformation in the x coordinates so that the [itex]a[/itex]'s go away. Namely
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} x_1^\prime \\x_2^\prime \\ x_3^\prime\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2 \\ x_3 \end{bmatrix} - \begin{bmatrix} a/2 \\-a/2 \\ -3a/2\end{bmatrix} [/tex]
And I will refer to the [itex]x_i^\prime[/itex] coordinates without the prime hereafter.
[tex](x_2 - x_1)^2 + (x_3 - x_2)^2 = x_1^2 +x_2^2 - 2x_1x_2 + x_2^2+ x_3^2 - 2x_2x_3 [/tex]
There are multiple choices for the matrix which below which would produce the above algebraic expression. We want to choose the one which Hermitian, so that the corresponding transformation is unitary.
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix} x_1 &x_2 & x_3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} 1 &-1 &0 \\ -1 &2 &-1 \\ 0 & -1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2 \\ x_3\end{bmatrix} [/tex]
[tex]det\begin{bmatrix} 1 - \lambda &-1 &0 \\ -1 &2- \lambda &-1 \\ 0 & -1 & 1- \lambda \end{bmatrix} = \left(1 - \lambda \right)^2\left(2 - \lambda \right) - \left(1 - \lambda \right) - \left(1 - \lambda \right) [/tex]
\begin{align*} = \left(1 - \lambda \right)\left[\left(1 - \lambda \right)\left(2 - \lambda \right) -2 \right] &= \left(1 - \lambda \right)\left[2 - 3\lambda + \lambda^2 -2 \right] \\
& =\lambda\left(1 - \lambda \right)\left(\lambda - 3 \right) \end{align*}
So the set of eigenvalues is [itex]\left\{0, 1, 3 \right\}[/itex].
[tex]U = \begin{bmatrix} 1/\sqrt{3} &1/\sqrt{3} &1/\sqrt{3} \\ 1/\sqrt{2} &0 &-1/\sqrt{2} \\ 1/\sqrt{6} & -2/\sqrt{6} & 1/\sqrt{6} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex] U^{T}\begin{bmatrix} 0 &0 &0 \\ 0 &1 &0 \\ 0 & 0 & 3 \end{bmatrix}U = \begin{bmatrix} 1 &-1 &0 \\ -1 &2 &-1 \\ 0 & -1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} q_1 \\q_2 \\ q_3\end{bmatrix} = U \begin{bmatrix} x_1 \\x_2 \\ x_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Next begins the calculation of the partial derivatives of [itex]x_i[/itex] in the new coordinate frame, as the first step to finding the kinetic energy in terms of conjugate momenta.
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial }{\partial x_2} & \frac{\partial }{\partial x_3}\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial q_1} & \frac{\partial }{\partial q_2} & \frac{\partial }{\partial q_3}\end{bmatrix}U[/tex][tex]KE = -\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial x_1} & \frac{\partial }{\partial x_2} & \frac{\partial }{\partial x_3}\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2M} &0 &0 \\ 0 &\frac{1}{2m_2} &0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2M} \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial x_1} \\ \frac{\partial }{\partial x_2} \\ \frac{\partial }{\partial x_3}\end{bmatrix} [/tex]
[tex] = -\hbar^2\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial q_1} & \frac{\partial }{\partial q_2} & \frac{\partial }{\partial q_3}\end{bmatrix}U \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2M} &0 &0 \\ 0 &\frac{1}{2m_2} &0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2M} \end{bmatrix}U^{T}\begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial q_1} \\ \frac{\partial }{\partial q_2} \\ \frac{\partial }{\partial q_3}\end{bmatrix} [/tex]
[tex] U \begin{bmatrix} \frac{1}{2M} &0 &0 \\ 0 &\frac{1}{2m_2} &0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{2M} \end{bmatrix}U^{T}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix} 1/\sqrt{3} &1/\sqrt{3} &1/\sqrt{3} \\ 1/\sqrt{2} &0 &-1/\sqrt{2} \\ 1/\sqrt{6} & -2/\sqrt{6} & 1/\sqrt{6} \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{2M\sqrt{3}} & \frac{1}{2M\sqrt{2}} &\frac{1}{2M\sqrt{6}} \\
\frac{1}{2m_2\sqrt{3}} & 0 &-\frac{2}{2m_2\sqrt{6}} \\
\frac{1}{2M\sqrt{3}} & -\frac{1}{2M\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{2M\sqrt{6}} \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex] = \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{3M} + \frac{1}{6m_2} & 0 & \frac{1}{3\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{1}{M} - \frac{1}{m_2} \right) \\ 0 & \frac{1}{2M} & 0 \\
\frac{1}{3\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{1}{M} - \frac{1}{m_2} \right) & 0 & \frac{1}{6M} + \frac{1}{3m_2} \end{bmatrix} [/tex]
[tex]\frac{KE}{-\hbar^2} = \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial }{\partial q_1} & \frac{\partial }{\partial q_2} & \frac{\partial }{\partial q_3}\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}\left(\frac{1}{3M} + \frac{1}{6m_2} \right)\frac{\partial }{\partial q_1} + \frac{1}{3\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{1}{M} - \frac{1}{m_2} \right)\frac{\partial }{\partial q_3}\\ \frac{1}{2M}\frac{\partial }{\partial q_2} \\ \frac{1}{3\sqrt{2}}\left(\frac{1}{M} - \frac{1}{m_2} \right)\frac{\partial }{\partial q_1}+ \left(\frac{1}{6M} + \frac{1}{3m_2} \right)\frac{\partial }{\partial q_3}\end{bmatrix} [/tex][tex]= \left(\frac{1}{3M} + \frac{1}{6m_2} \right)\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial q_1^2} + \frac{1}{2M}\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial q_2^2} + \left(\frac{1}{6M} + \frac{1}{3m_2} \right)\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial q_3^2}[/tex][tex]+ \frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}\left(\frac{1}{M} - \frac{1}{m_2} \right)\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial q_1 \partial q_3} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have gathered from reading Goldstein that my choice of [itex]U[/itex] was not unique.

We shall reserve a discussion of this exceptional case of degeneracy for a later time. For the present, suffice it to state that a set of [itex]a_{jk}[/itex] coefficients can always be found that satisfies both the eigenvalue conditions Eqs. (6.10), and Eq. (6.22a), so that Eq. (6.23) always holds.

see pages 241-245

So I shall have to have another go at finding U.

1. What are quantum coupled oscillators?

Quantum coupled oscillators refer to a system of two or more oscillators that are linked together and exhibit quantum behavior. They can be found in various systems such as molecules, superconductors, and quantum computers.

2. How do quantum coupled oscillators differ from classical coupled oscillators?

Quantum coupled oscillators exhibit non-classical behavior such as entanglement, superposition, and quantized energy levels. In classical systems, the oscillators are treated as independent entities and do not exhibit these quantum phenomena.

3. What is the importance of studying quantum coupled oscillators?

Quantum coupled oscillators play a crucial role in understanding and developing quantum technologies. They serve as building blocks for quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum sensing, among others.

4. Can quantum coupled oscillators be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, quantum coupled oscillators can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques such as external fields, quantum gates, and feedback control. This allows for the creation of desired quantum states for specific applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum coupled oscillators?

Quantum coupled oscillators have a wide range of applications, including quantum sensors for high-precision measurements, quantum simulators for studying complex systems, and quantum memories for storing and processing quantum information.