Calculating Quantum Defect for Na I 3p-nd, n=4-7 Terms

In summary, the spectrum shows the series 3p - nd, n = 4 - 7 in Na as well as the resonance line 3s - 3p, with the experimental vacuum wavelengths in Å. The equation for calculating the quantum defect for nd terms is T = R\frac{(z-N_{inner})^2}{(n-\delta)^2}. However, due to the high delta values, the calculated defect may be inaccurate.
Philip Land

Homework Statement

The spectrum shows the series 3p - nd, n = 4 - 7 in Na as well as the resonance line 3s - 3p, with the experimental vacuum wavelengths in Å.Calculate the quantum defect for the nd ##^2D## n = 4-7 terms. Estimate, as accurately as possible, the wavelength for 3p - 8d. The ionization energy in Na I is 41449.6 cm-1. Neglect all finestructure.

Homework Equations

##E_{ionization} - E_{excitation} = T = R\frac{(z-N_{inner})^2}{(n-\delta)^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi!

I can take the inverse of the given wavelength, to get T. ##\frac{1}{\lambda} = T##.

Then I can plug this into the above equation and solve for delta. ##\delta = n - sqrt(\frac{R*(z-N_{inner})^2)}{T})##

But my question is. Do I also need to take the quantum defect for p into account?

Where my ##T = R*(z-N_{inner})^2 ( \frac{1}{(n-\delta_p)^2} - \frac{1}{(n-\delta_d)^2}) ##

And if so, how would I get ##\delta_p##?

If it was s, I could impy solve for ##delta_s## when putting ##T= E_{io}##.

Figure attached
Skärmavbild 2018-08-14 kl. 14.35.08.png

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-08-14 kl. 14.35.08.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-08-14 kl. 14.35.08.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Land said:
But my question is. Do I also need to take the quantum defect for p into account?
From the data you have, can't you calculate E(3p) and then find the quantum defect from energy levels relative to that?

Likes Philip Land
DrClaude said:
From the data you have, can't you calculate E(3p) and then find the quantum defect from energy levels relative to that?

Thanks. I actually think I can by looking at the blue lines. I can put 6140 = ##R( \frac{1}{(5- \delta_s)^2}-\frac{1}{(3-\delta_p)^2})## Where quantum defect for s is ##\delta_s = 3- sqrt( \frac{R}{E_{io}}.## I guess.

On the right track? :)

There's no facit so I can't really tell if the asnswer is correct.

DrClaude said:
But doing this i get

delta p = 2.739

delta s = 1.373

delta d = 3.1356

Which seems to be to high values.

1. What is quantum defect and why is it important in calculating energy levels?

Quantum defect is a measure of the difference between the actual and predicted energy levels of an atom. It accounts for the effects of electron-electron interactions and the finite size of the nucleus on the energy levels. In calculating energy levels, quantum defect is important because it improves the accuracy of the predictions.

2. How is quantum defect calculated for Na I 3p-nd, n=4-7 terms?

Quantum defect is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which relates the energy levels of an atom to the quantum numbers n and l. For Na I, the Rydberg formula is modified to include the quantum defect, which is determined from experimental data.

3. What is the significance of the n=4-7 terms in calculating quantum defect for Na I 3p-nd?

The n=4-7 terms represent different energy levels for the 3p-nd transition in Na I. By calculating the quantum defect for these terms, we can better understand the behavior of electrons in this transition and make more accurate predictions for the energy levels.

4. How does the quantum defect change as the principal quantum number n increases?

As the principal quantum number n increases, the quantum defect generally decreases. This is because the energy levels become more closely spaced as n increases, making the effects of electron-electron interactions and the finite size of the nucleus less significant.

5. Can quantum defect be calculated for other elements and transitions?

Yes, quantum defect can be calculated for other elements and transitions. The Rydberg formula can be modified for different elements, and quantum defect can also be calculated for different transitions, such as the 3s-nd transition. However, the experimental data and methods for determining the quantum defect may differ for each element and transition.