How Can You Construct a Quantum Circuit for the Deutsch Problem Variant?

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, a quantum circuit can be constructed to produce the desired two qubit gate by using Hadamard, CNOT, and Toffoli gates to manipulate the states of the qubits. The key is to use the Toffoli gate to control the phase of the third qubit based on the output of the function f.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

In a quantum information setting:

I'm given a function [itex] f: \{0,1\} \to \{0,1\} [/itex] and my goal is to construct a quantum circuit that constructs the two qubit gate
[tex] \frac1{\sqrt3} \left( (-1)^{f(0)}|00\rangle + (-1)^{f(1)} | 01 \rangle + |11\rangle \right) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The goal of this problem is to find a quantum algorithm that computes a variation of Deutsch's problem. I've tried the standard techniques of applying Hadamards to a target and control qubit and then queuring f. I've tried Fourier transforms, Toffoli gates, everything, but I can't see how to construct this state. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. This is certainly a challenging task, but I believe I have a solution for you. Here is the quantum circuit that constructs the desired two qubit gate:

1. Start with two qubits in the state |00⟩. Apply a Hadamard gate to the first qubit and a CNOT gate with the first qubit as the control and the second qubit as the target.

2. Apply another Hadamard gate to the first qubit.

3. Apply a Toffoli gate with the first and second qubits as controls and the third qubit as the target.

4. Apply a Hadamard gate to the second qubit.

5. Apply a CNOT gate with the second qubit as the control and the third qubit as the target.

6. Finally, apply a Hadamard gate to the third qubit.

This circuit will produce the state [tex] \frac1{\sqrt3} \left( (-1)^{f(0)}|00\rangle + (-1)^{f(1)} | 01 \rangle + |11\rangle \right) [/itex] as desired. The key is to use the Toffoli gate to control the phase of the third qubit based on the output of the function f.

I hope this helps and good luck with your quantum information research!

1. What is the Quantum Deutsch Problem?

The Quantum Deutsch Problem, also known as the Deutsch-Jozsa problem, is a problem in quantum computing that involves determining whether a given function is constant or balanced. It was first proposed by David Deutsch and Richard Jozsa in 1992.

2. Why is the Quantum Deutsch Problem important?

The Quantum Deutsch Problem is important because it was the first example of a problem that can be solved more efficiently using a quantum computer than a classical computer. This highlights the potential power and speed of quantum computers.

3. How is the Quantum Deutsch Problem solved?

The Quantum Deutsch Problem is solved using a quantum algorithm called the Deutsch-Jozsa algorithm. This algorithm uses quantum gates to determine the nature of the given function, and can solve the problem in a single iteration for any input size.

4. What are the applications of the Quantum Deutsch Problem?

The Quantum Deutsch Problem has applications in cryptography, as it can be used to efficiently determine whether a function is one-to-one or onto, which are important properties in encryption algorithms. It also has implications in other areas such as machine learning and optimization problems.

5. What are the limitations of the Quantum Deutsch Problem?

Currently, the main limitation of the Quantum Deutsch Problem is the limited availability and scalability of quantum computers. While the problem can be solved efficiently on a quantum computer, the technology is still in its early stages and practical implementations are limited. Additionally, the problem itself only has specific applications and may not have broad use in all areas of computing.