Are Quantum Dots Unstable? - Paden Roder

In summary, Sandia National lab reported that quantum dots have a high efficiency of 60% in absorbing near UV light and re-emitting it in the visible range. However, this process causes the dots to gain mass and become something different from their initial state. Further observations suggest that the dots emit more low-frequency photons than they absorb high-frequency photons, and any excess energy is converted to thermal energy and released through the surface to the surrounding medium.
PRodQuanta
Sandia National lab reported that quantum dots absorb near UV and re-emit at the visible range. It's wavelength shifts to a longer wavelength with 60% efficiency.

Does this mean quantum dots are unstable? Since they add mass to themselves. This makes them something different from what they were initially. I come to this conclusion that they add mass by the knowledge that the quantum dots absorb a high frequency photon and release a slower moving one.

Thoughts?
Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the feeling the dots emit more low-frequency photons than they absorb high-frequency photons.

Also, all photons move at the same speed: c.

- Warren

What is a quantum dot?

An effectively zero-dimensional confinement apparatus for electrons.

- Warren

You know what I meant (or so I hope) when I said slower moving one. Lower frequency.
Paden Roder

The excess energy is converted to thermal (lattice vibrations), and ultimately coupled out through the surface to the surrounding medium.

1. What are quantum dots?

Quantum dots are tiny semiconductor particles, typically only a few nanometers in size, that exhibit unique optical and electronic properties due to their size and composition.

2. Are quantum dots stable?

Quantum dots can be either stable or unstable, depending on their composition, size, and environment. Some quantum dots can degrade over time due to exposure to light, oxygen, or heat, while others can remain stable for long periods.

3. How are quantum dots used?

Quantum dots have a wide range of potential applications, including in consumer electronics, medical imaging, solar cells, and quantum computing. They can be used to enhance the color and brightness of displays, improve the efficiency of solar panels, and enable highly sensitive biomedical imaging.

4. What factors can affect the stability of quantum dots?

The stability of quantum dots can be affected by their size, composition, surface chemistry, and exposure to external factors such as light, heat, and oxygen. The presence of defects or impurities can also impact their stability.

5. How can the stability of quantum dots be improved?

Researchers are constantly working to improve the stability of quantum dots through advancements in their synthesis and surface engineering. By carefully controlling the size and composition of quantum dots, as well as their surrounding environment, it is possible to create more stable and durable quantum dot materials.