Quantum Dynamics: Calculating Mass After Particles Collide

In summary, Quantum Dynamics is a field of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level. In this field, mass is calculated using the mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc2, which considers the energy and momentum of particles before and after a collision. Factors such as external forces and interactions also affect the calculation of mass in Quantum Dynamics. This approach has been proven to accurately predict the mass of particles after a collision, as long as all relevant factors are taken into account. In contrast, classical mechanics assumes deterministic behavior of particles and may result in different predictions for mass after a collision.
thharrimw

Homework Statement

there are 2 particles with the same mass and they undergo two different experments in expermant 1 particle 1 is moveing at .9c and particle two is at rest it wanted the KE before they hit and i got 1.29mc^2 (i checked it in my book) for experment two the total KE before the particles hit is 1.29mc^2 and both particles are moveing at eagh other at a velocity U it wanted me to find u so i set 1.29mc^2= 2c^2m(Y) and got u to be .795c ( i also checked that in my book) part c said that the particles in part a and b stick together and it wanted me to find the resalting masses that would resalt after the particles hit in both experments.

Homework Equations

i don't know where to start or what equation to use so could someone help me get started.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

First, we need to understand the concept of kinetic energy (KE) and how it relates to mass and velocity. The equation for KE is KE = 0.5 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the particle and v is its velocity. This equation tells us that the kinetic energy of a particle is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity.

In experiment 1, particle 1 has a mass m and a velocity of 0.9c. Using the equation for KE, we can calculate its kinetic energy to be KE = 0.5 * m * (0.9c)^2 = 0.405mc^2. This is the same value that you got in your book, so it seems like you have the right answer.

In experiment 2, both particles have the same kinetic energy before they hit. We know that the total KE is 1.29mc^2, so each particle must have a kinetic energy of 0.645mc^2. Using the same equation for KE, we can set this equal to 0.5 * m * u^2, where u is the velocity of the particles after they stick together. Solving for u, we get u = √(2 * 0.645c^2/m) = 0.795c, which is the same value you got in your book.

Now, for part c, we need to find the resulting masses after the particles stick together in both experiments. Since the particles stick together, we can add their masses together to get the resulting mass. In experiment 1, the resulting mass would be 2m, since both particles have the same mass m. In experiment 2, the resulting mass would also be 2m, since both particles have the same kinetic energy and thus must have the same mass.

In summary, the resulting masses after the particles hit would be 2m in both experiments. I hope this helps you understand the problem better. Good luck with the rest of your work!

1. What is Quantum Dynamics?

Quantum Dynamics is a field of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is mass calculated after particles collide in Quantum Dynamics?

In Quantum Dynamics, mass is calculated using the mass-energy equivalence formula, E=mc2. This equation takes into account the energy and momentum of the particles before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the calculation of mass in Quantum Dynamics?

The factors that affect the calculation of mass in Quantum Dynamics include the energy and momentum of the particles, as well as any external forces or interactions that may occur during the collision.

4. Can Quantum Dynamics accurately predict the mass of particles after a collision?

Yes, Quantum Dynamics has been shown to accurately predict the mass of particles after a collision, as long as all relevant factors are taken into account in the calculation.

5. How does Quantum Dynamics differ from classical mechanics in calculating mass after a collision?

Quantum Dynamics takes into account the probabilistic nature of particles at the subatomic level, while classical mechanics assumes that particles behave in a deterministic manner. This can result in different predictions for the mass after a collision.