1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum electrodynamics

1. Oct 31, 2005 #1
    What is a good textbook that gives a basic understanding of quantum electrodynamics?

My university doesnt have any courses in this subject so Im gonna have to teach to myself.

What do I need to know and understand before I dig down into quantum electrodynamics? So far I am at my second year of undergrad studies and I have only taken a introductionary course in quantum physics but some pretty extensive courses in electromagnetic fields and newtonian mechanics.

I have not yet taken any courses in quantum dynamics or quantum mechanics. Would it be pointless to try and understand QED before I have taken those courses??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Definitely! How are you going to deciper the Second Quantization notations?

Zz.

4. Oct 31, 2005 #3
    hmm well since I dont know what your talking about I guess you are right :rofl:

Just have to be patient and wait a year:grumpy: :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?