1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum EM field hamiltonian

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a charged particle of charge e traveling in the electromagnetic
    potentials
    [tex]
    \mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r},t) = -\mathbf{\nabla}\lambda(\mathbf{r},t)\\
    \phi(\mathbf{r},t) = \frac{1}{c} \frac{\partial \lambda(\mathbf{r},t)}{\partial t}
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\lambda(\mathbf{r},t)[/itex] is an arbitrary scalar function.

Show that the wavefunction is
    [tex]
    \psi(\mathbf{r},t) = exp\left(-\frac{\mathit{i}e}{\hbar c} \lambda(\mathbf{r},t)\right) \psi^{(0)}(\mathbf{r},t)
    [/tex]
    where [itex]\phi^{(0)}(\mathbf{r},t)[/itex] is the solution to the Schrodinger equation for the case [itex]\lambda(\mathbf{r},t)=0[/itex].
    of ¸(r, t) = 0.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\hat{H} = \frac{(\mathbf{p}-\frac{q}{c}\mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r},t))^2}{2m} + q\phi(\mathbf{r},t)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The Hamiltonian is
    [tex]
    \hat{H} = \frac{(\mathit{i}\hbar\mathbf{\nabla} + \frac{e}{c}\mathbf{\nabla}\lambda(\mathbf{r},t))^2}{2m} + \frac{e}{c} \frac{\partial\lambda(\mathbf{r},t)}{\partial t}
    [/tex]
    and the [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] wavefunction is
    [tex]
    \psi^{(0)} = exp(\mathit{i} \left(\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r} - \frac{\hbar k^2 t}{2m}\right)
    [/tex]

I'm stuck at applying the Hamiltonian to the function. For the [itex]\nabla^2\lambda\psi[/itex] term, do we apply the Laplacian to just [itex]\lambda[/itex] or to [itex]\lambda\psi[/itex]? Similarly for the cross term and the time derivative.

Is it
    [tex]
    \hat{H}\psi = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2\psi + \frac{\mathit{i}e\hbar}{2mc} \left(\nabla\cdot(\psi\nabla\lambda) + (\nabla\lambda)\cdot(\nabla\psi)\right) + \frac{e}{2mc}\psi\nabla^2\lambda + \frac{e}{c} \psi\frac{\partial\lambda}{\partial t}
    [/tex]
    or
    [tex]
    \hat{H}\psi = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\nabla^2\psi + \frac{\mathit{i}e\hbar}{2mc} \left(\nabla^2(\psi\lambda) + (\nabla\lambda\cdot\nabla)\psi\right) + \frac{e}{2mc}\nabla^2(\lambda\psi) + \frac{e}{c} \frac{\partial(\lambda\psi)}{\partial t}
    [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note typo: In the first term of the Hamiltonian, there should be a negative sign before the ##\mathit{i}\hbar##
    It's the first form that's correct (with a negative sign for the second term). However, it's much easier to apply the hamiltonian in the form
    [tex]
    \hat{H} = \frac{(\mathit{-i}\hbar\mathbf{\nabla} + \frac{e}{c}\mathbf{\nabla}\lambda(\mathbf{r},t))({-i}\hbar\mathbf{\nabla} + \frac{e}{c}\mathbf{\nabla}\lambda(\mathbf{r},t))}{2m} + \frac{e}{c} \frac{\partial\lambda(\mathbf{r},t)}{\partial t}
    [/tex]

where you first apply the right hand factor ##(\mathit{-i}\hbar\mathbf{\nabla} + \frac{e}{c}\mathbf{\nabla}\lambda(\mathbf{r},t))## to the wave function and simplify before applying the second factor of ##(\mathit{-i}\hbar\mathbf{\nabla} + \frac{e}{c}\mathbf{\nabla}\lambda(\mathbf{r},t))##.

4. Oct 29, 2012 #3
    Thanks.
    I was doing a bit too much work. I didn't need to know the form of [itex]\psi^{(0)}[/itex], just that it solved the free particle Schrodinger equation. From there, I just applied the Hamiltonian and started simplifying. I got the original free particle Shodinger equation right back.

5. Oct 29, 2012 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good deal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook