Exploring the Origins of Quantum Energy Level Degeneracy

In summary, the splitting of energy levels in this scenario is caused by the spin-orbit coupling, and the number of degenerate states in each split level is determined by the quantum numbers j and l. The "weak" Zeeman effect refers to a small energy shift due to a magnetic field, which perturbs the already split levels into even more degenerate states.
soxymoron
I'm not going to follow the form because this is more of a hand-wavy question, I don't need it for a specific homework question but it's confusing me, I hope it's still okay to post here.

I understand the splitting of energy levels due to j (dependant on l and s) and I understand that each of the split states contains multiple degenerate states. What I don't understand is where they come from.

For an example of l=1 the energy is split into a j=1/2 and a j=3/2 levels. I know 6 states in total are contain within this split 2:4. This is the bit I don't understand, I'm assuming that the degenerate states are caused by the quantum number m but if that's the case why aren't they split evenly 3 to each energy level?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
It's because the interaction that splits the energies of the state is the spin-orbit coupling, proportional to [tex]\vec{L}\cdot\vec{S}[/tex], which can be rewritten as being proportional to the difference [tex]\vec{J}^2-\vec{L}^2-\vec{S}^2[/tex], which is dependent only on the quantum numbers j and l (s=1/2 in either case): so that's why the l=1 levels split according to their j quantum number, and not m.

In a magnetic field, on the other hand, the additional splitting would depend on m.

right... but i f you want to go deeper... see the rapresentations of angular momentu in QM, see what are the wieight of a reprs ;)

Okay so m only comes into play when a magnetic field is added, that makes sense. Though I'm still not sure why j=1/2 contains 2 degenerate states and j=3/2 contains 4. Also, I have a question which asks me to 'estimate the weak Zeeman splitting of a system', my main problem with that is I'm not sure what the weak Zeeman splitting of a system is. I could calculate it for each state but I don't know what that would mean for the whole thing.

For j=1/2 there are two states: m=+/- 1/2, and for j=3/2 there are 4 different m-states.

The "weak" Zeeman effect just refers to a situation where the energy shift due to the magnetic field is small and can be treated with perturbation theory: the unperturbed Hamiltonian has split the l=1 level into 2: j=1/2 and j=3/2, and then the Zeeman effect splits each of those into 2 and 4, respectively, different energy levels.

1. What is quantum energy level degeneracy?

Quantum energy level degeneracy refers to the phenomenon in which multiple energy levels in a quantum system have the same energy value. This results in the possibility of different quantum states having the same energy, leading to degeneracy.

2. How does degeneracy occur in quantum systems?

Degeneracy occurs in quantum systems due to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the wave-particle duality. These principles allow for multiple quantum states to have the same energy value, leading to degeneracy.

3. What is the significance of degeneracy in quantum energy levels?

The presence of degeneracy in quantum energy levels has significant implications in various fields of physics, including atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum chemistry. It allows for a better understanding of the behavior and properties of quantum systems and can also be exploited for technological applications.

4. How is degeneracy broken in quantum systems?

Degeneracy can be broken in quantum systems through various mechanisms, such as external perturbations, interactions with other particles, and the presence of a magnetic field. These factors can cause a splitting of the degenerate energy levels, resulting in a non-degenerate system.

5. What are some current research areas related to degeneracy in quantum energy levels?

Some current research areas related to degeneracy in quantum energy levels include the study of topological materials, quantum information processing, and quantum computing. Researchers are also exploring ways to utilize degeneracy to create more stable and efficient quantum systems.