Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Quantum Energy Sources?

1. Nov 2, 2016 #1
    While I am sure that knowledge of quantum mechanics is vital for getting fission and fusion reactors to work, I can't help noticing that the actual function of those reactors can be described purely with classical physics.

Are there any proposals for quantum reactions to unlock energy? Perhaps quantum teleporting a proton through an insulator and making its electron go through a circuit to follow it? Perhaps if you defined a proton's velocity precisely enough it would be unable to be within an atom, thus causing fission.

I found "Zero-point energy" but it doesn't look like something to replace coal any time soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Quantum teleportation does NOT teleport an object. It correlates a particular property (state) of the object.

Zz.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    Sorry about the edit, I meant to say that those examples were not the important part of what I was asking. It just seems odd that what we know about QED doesn't seem to unlock any sources of energy.

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4
    So sorry QED does not meet your expectations.

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What about lasers?

Anyway, your question doesn't make sense. There are no "classical" or "quantum" energy sources, onlt classical or quantum models of energy sources. And QM enters a lot in the understanding of nuclear reactions.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook