1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum entanglement and measurement operator

1. Feb 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A system in a state [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\left<\phi\right| + \left<\psi\right|)[/itex] undergoes an interaction with a second system (which is initially in [itex]\left<\alpha\right|[/itex]) and ands up in an entangled state [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\left\langle\phi\right| \otimes \left\langle\alpha\right| + \left\langle\psi\right|\otimes \left\langle\beta\right|\right)[/itex]. Find a unitary operator that will perform that interaction/measurement.

The respective states in each space are orthonormal, and φ and ψ form a complete basis.

2. Relevant equations
    I assume the linearity of tensor products is relevant. Other than that, I'm really not sure what.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know nearly enough about entanglement or unitary operators here. An entangled state means one that isn't separable, I know. A unitary operator U satisfies U*U = UU* = I. From there... I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted