Quantum Entanglement-Susskind-lecture 4&5

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Bell's inequality in Lecture 5 on quantum entanglement, with one person advocating for the use of the probability of spin instead of the projection operator. The expert summarizer explains that while the probability of spin may be simpler, it may not be as rigorous and comprehensive as using the projection operator, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. They also note that the projection operator provides a deeper understanding of the phenomenon of entanglement.
say_cheese
In Lecture 5 on quantum entanglement, Susskind calculates the Bell's inequality terms using projection operator (a difficult concept and a tedious derivation). However, I believe the following

I obtained the result on the Bell's inequality using the probability of spin of an electron prepared with spin in n direction, being up in direction m (Lecture 4): (1+cos(tmn))/2

A not B on a singlet for the case of A being up and B not being 45 deg is then given by for |u d>= 1. (1+/- 1/√2)/2 For the case in lecture 5, it is the - sign
similarly
for |d u> =0. (1- +1/√2)/2

Gives the same answer with a simpler way.

The cosine dependence also is much more comprehensive in explaining the explanation in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

Physics news on Phys.org
#Overview
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the calculation of Bell's inequality in Lecture 5 on quantum entanglement. I can understand your perspective on using the probability of spin for the calculation instead of the projection operator. However, I would like to point out that while your method may be simpler, it may not be as rigorous or comprehensive as using the projection operator.

The projection operator is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the state of a system. It also plays a crucial role in the calculation of Bell's inequality, which is a fundamental aspect of quantum entanglement. By using the projection operator, we can ensure that our calculation is accurate and takes into account all possible states of the system.

Additionally, the cosine dependence in the probability of spin may be more intuitive, but it may not fully capture the complexity of the phenomenon of entanglement. The projection operator, on the other hand, provides a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between the entangled particles.

In conclusion, while I appreciate your approach to simplifying the calculation, I believe that using the projection operator is necessary for a thorough understanding of Bell's inequality and its implications in quantum entanglement. I encourage you to continue exploring this fascinating topic and to keep an open mind towards different methods of calculation.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected or "entangled" in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when the particles are separated by large distances.

2. How does quantum entanglement work?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles are created or interact with each other in a way that their properties become intrinsically linked. This means that measuring the state of one particle will affect the state of the other, regardless of how far apart they are.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is significant because it challenges our traditional understanding of cause and effect, as well as our concept of locality. It also has important implications for quantum computing and communication, as well as potential uses in cryptography and teleportation.

4. Who is Leonard Susskind and what are his contributions to quantum entanglement?

Leonard Susskind is an American physicist and one of the founders of string theory. He has made significant contributions to our understanding of quantum entanglement, including the concept of entanglement entropy and the holographic principle.

5. How is quantum entanglement being studied and applied in scientific research?

Quantum entanglement is being studied in various fields of research, including quantum optics, quantum computing, and quantum information theory. It is also being applied in experiments to test the foundations of quantum mechanics and to develop new technologies such as quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation.