Quantum Entanglement: EPR Paradox & Bell Violation

In summary, the EPR paradox/bell violation suggests that particles can exist in states that are not local, and that this non-local behavior is caused by the particles' being entangled. However, the theory behind this behavior is still not fully understood.
Redsummers
I have two simple questions concerning the entanglement and its repercussions from the EPR paradox/bell violation.

Are we assuming this is a problem from our previous knowledge of the information or is it rather a matter of quantum states being really linked, thus letting information travel faster than speed of light (i.e. non-locality)?

Also, is there any new theory that explains somehow non-locality properties?

If I've done any basic, trivial mistakes feel free to bite me.
Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Redsummers said:
I have two simple questions concerning the entanglement and its repercussions from the EPR paradox/bell violation.

Are we assuming this is a problem from our previous knowledge of the information or is it rather a matter of quantum states being really linked, thus letting information travel faster than speed of light (i.e. non-locality)?

Thanks,

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Redsummers!

No one really knows the explanantion at this point. The short story is: The formalism of Quantum Mechanics explains the relevant phenomena (i.e. makes predictions) effectively but is silent as to the underlying physical processes. There are "interpretations" of this formalism - some which are equivalent and some which have subtle differences - without adding any useful new predictions.

So we don't *really* know what quantum non-locality is.

Redsummers said:

Are we assuming this is a problem from our previous knowledge of the information

I don't think I understand this question. Could you please be more elaborate?

or is it rather a matter of quantum states being really linked, thus letting information travel faster than speed of light (i.e. non-locality)?

If you have two photons (or any other particle for that matter) in an entangled state, they "communicate" through no medium (no ether or interaction-carrier exists), and the "communication" happens instantaneously, so, yes, it is faster than light.
Consider a small gedankenexperiment: you have a scalar particle, like a pi meson , it decays into two photons. But "scalar" means that the pi-meson has spin 0. The photon has spin 1. So, in order to conserve the overall spin, one of the photons must have spin +1 and the other spin -1.
The state describing these two photons is known as a singlet state. It is an entangled state. The spin of one of the photons depends on the spin of the other.

Thanks,

Non-locality is not explained. It has only been tested experimentally (see Aspect et. al. Orsay exp. 1984).

DrChinese said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums, Redsummers!

No one really knows the explanantion at this point. The short story is: The formalism of Quantum Mechanics explains the relevant phenomena (i.e. makes predictions) effectively but is silent as to the underlying physical processes. There are "interpretations" of this formalism - some which are equivalent and some which have subtle differences - without adding any useful new predictions.

So we don't *really* know what quantum non-locality is.

Thank you DrChinese,

It's alright, I expected something like this since I didn't find any interpretation regarding this issue elsewhere.

According to your formalism, it does make sense to deem Quantum Entanglement as an unexplained property. However I think non-locality is too much of intriguing to stop seeking a clearer definition because QM limitations. So I guess that we may know more about it in the upcoming future.

Qubix said:
I don't think I understand this question. Could you please be more elaborate?

I was first wondering if entanglement is in fact something we cannot predict and it makes itself obvious as soon as we start observing the phenomenon.

If you have two photons (or any other particle for that matter) in an entangled state, they "communicate" through no medium (no ether or interaction-carrier exists), and the "communication" happens instantaneously, so, yes, it is faster than light.
Consider a small gedankenexperiment: you have a scalar particle, like a pi meson , it decays into two photons. But "scalar" means that the pi-meson has spin 0. The photon has spin 1. So, in order to conserve the overall spin, one of the photons must have spin +1 and the other spin -1.
The state describing these two photons is known as a singlet state. It is an entangled state. The spin of one of the photons depends on the spin of the other.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been reading recently about. Even though I didn't encounter this example before, it's always interesting to see new observations.
Thanks!

Non-locality is not explained. It has only been tested experimentally (see Aspect et. al. Orsay exp. 1984).

Right, and it hasn't been until this year that Aspect and the others get recognition for the experiment (i.e. Wolf prize). http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/41633"

Last edited by a moderator:
Redsummers said:
I was first wondering if entanglement is in fact something we cannot predict and it makes itself obvious as soon as we start observing the phenomenon.

Well, in Quantum Mechanics we are not allowed to make assumptions prior to the measurement. So, at least in this sense, we can only detect entanglement when physically interacting with the system. Regarding the ability to predict whether two (or more) particles will be in an entangled state, we can predict that. Think of the above example, we know the pi-meson is a scalar so we know the two photons will be entangled.

1. What is quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even when they are separated by large distances.

2. What is the EPR paradox?

The EPR paradox, also known as the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox, is a thought experiment that was proposed by Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky, and Nathan Rosen in 1935. It challenges the principles of quantum mechanics by suggesting that particles can have definite states and properties, even when they are not being measured.

3. What is Bell's inequality and how does it relate to quantum entanglement?

Bell's inequality is a mathematical expression that was developed by physicist John Stewart Bell in 1964 to test whether quantum mechanics is a complete and accurate theory. The violation of Bell's inequality in experiments involving entangled particles provides evidence for the reality of quantum entanglement and the failure of classical physics to explain it.

4. What are the potential applications of quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It could also lead to the development of more precise sensors and detectors for various scientific and technological purposes.

5. How does quantum entanglement challenge our understanding of the physical world?

Quantum entanglement challenges our understanding of the physical world by defying classical concepts of causality and locality. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the observation of quantum phenomena.