How can you ensure that the particle has already been entangled?

In summary, the speaker asks two questions about ensuring entanglement in particles and also inquires about different ways to solve the problem, with the possibility of using theoretical or mathematical methods. They also mention the entanglement of two photons created by an electron undergoing two downward transitions.
Hououin Kyouma
There are several questions I am wondering.
1. If I give you a particle, how can you ensure that the particle has already been entangled?
2. If I give you a pair of particles, how can you ensure that these particles have already been entangled?

In how many ways, e.g. in the theoretical/mathematical method can be used to solve the problem?

Thank you all for answering.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you give me one or two particles and don't tell me how did you prepared them, then I cannot determine that they are entangled. However, if you give me many particles, or many pairs of particles, which are all prepared in the same way, then I can determine whether they are entangled. The more particles you give me, I can determine it with better certainty.

Likes jfizzix
Hououin Kyouma said:
There are several questions I am wondering.
1. If I give you a particle, how can you ensure that the particle has already been entangled?
2. If I give you a pair of particles, how can you ensure that these particles have already been entangled?

In how many ways, e.g. in the theoretical/mathematical method can be used to solve the problem?

Thank you all for answering.
If an electron at a higher energy level, it downward transition twice and emit one photon at each downward transition, the two photons created this way entangled each other , their spins always opposite.

1. How do you know if a particle is entangled?

Scientists use various methods to detect entanglement in particles, such as measuring the spin or polarization of the particles. Entangled particles will have correlated measurements, meaning that if one particle's spin is measured as "up," the other particle's spin will also be measured as "up."

2. Is it possible for a particle to become unentangled?

Yes, it is possible for entangled particles to become unentangled. This can happen due to external influences or interactions with other particles. However, the entanglement can also be maintained if the particles are isolated and protected from external disturbances.

3. How can you ensure that the particles are truly entangled and not just correlated by chance?

Scientists use statistical analyses to determine the probability of particles being correlated by chance versus being truly entangled. The more measurements that show correlated results, the lower the chance of it being a random occurrence.

4. Can entanglement occur over long distances?

Yes, entanglement has been observed in particles that are separated by long distances, even on opposite sides of the world. This phenomenon is known as "spooky action at a distance" and is still not fully understood, but has been demonstrated through experiments.

5. What practical applications can entangled particles have?

Entangled particles have potential applications in quantum computing, quantum teleportation, and secure communication systems. They can also be used to study fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the quantum level.