Quantum Mechanics Exam Prep for PhDs

In summary: The books can also be viewed as collections of exercises, but these are not exercises in the usual sense. The exercises are not applications of general theory to special cases of special cases. Instead, the exercises are the general theory itself.
Dirac62
Hello everybody,
About one month later I have PhD exam and urgently I need a book just including questions and answers of quantum mechanics.
Can anyone guide me please?
Hope to hear from you.

<<Mentor note: Personal identifying information removed.>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds as if you just want to remember the answers, without really understanding them. To deserve PhD in physics, one should do more than that.

thanks, I think I am good in general concepts and formulas, but the thing is I have a very hard exam for PhD that relates to hard problems.

A good textbook is, e.g., Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics.

Likes Dirac62
vanhees71 said:
Thanks a lot. I will try it.

vanhees71 said:
But this is not "a book just including questions and answers" (which, of course, is one of the reasons why it is good).

Well, I don't take such a demand seriously from a graduate student preparing for a PhD examination on quantum theory. It's about science and we have to keep the standards we are used to in the international physics community, which is quite high, and this makes a PhD in physics worth the effort!

Likes Dirac62
I have found a good book on QM which is really written in the form of "questions and answers":
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589490266/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There is also a similar book on quantum field theory:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1589490312/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The books can also be viewed as collections of exercises, but these are not exercises in the usual sense. The exercises are not applications of general theory to special cases of special cases. Instead, the exercises are the general theory itself.

Likes Dirac62
Dirac62 said:
Hello everybody,
About one month later I have PhD exam and urgently I need a book just including questions and answers of quantum mechanics.
Can anyone guide me please?
Hope to hear from you.

<<Mentor note: Personal identifying information removed.>>
I read a couple of books - Q is for Quantum (1998) by Gribbin, The Quantum Story (2011) by Jim Baggott, Quantum; A Guide for the Perplexed (2003) by Jim Al-Khalili, and Quantum Mechanics; Demystified - A Self-Teaching Guide (2005) by David McMahon. I hope this helps.

Likes Dirac62
Try problems and solutions on Quantum Mechanics, a part of the Y K Lim series. It is a collection of problems asked in Ph.D entrance exams in various universities in the US like MIT, Caltech, Wisconsin, Buffalo etc

1. What is quantum mechanics and why is it important for PhD exam preparation?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is important for PhD exam preparation because it is a fundamental theory that underlies many areas of physics and has applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What are some key concepts that I should focus on for my quantum mechanics PhD exam?

Some key concepts to focus on for a quantum mechanics PhD exam include wave-particle duality, the uncertainty principle, quantum states and operators, and the Schrödinger equation. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematical tools such as linear algebra and calculus.

3. How can I best prepare for a quantum mechanics PhD exam?

To prepare for a quantum mechanics PhD exam, it is important to review lecture notes, textbooks, and any other study materials provided by your instructor. Practice solving problems and try to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing equations. Collaborating with classmates and seeking help from a tutor or professor can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when studying for a quantum mechanics PhD exam?

One common mistake to avoid when studying for a quantum mechanics PhD exam is relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the concepts. It is also important to not procrastinate and to give yourself enough time to thoroughly review the material. Additionally, be sure to double check your calculations and equations to avoid simple errors.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of quantum mechanics to real-world problems?

Quantum mechanics has many applications in the real world, such as in the development of new technologies like quantum computing and cryptography. It also has practical uses in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and medicine. By understanding the principles of quantum mechanics, you can approach and solve complex problems in these and other areas with a deeper understanding and more accurate predictions.