Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum exam for PhD

Tags:
  1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    Hello everybody,
    About one month later I have PhD exam and urgently I need a book just including questions and answers of quantum mechanics.
    Can anyone guide me please?
    Hope to hear from you.

<<Mentor note: Personal identifying information removed.>>

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

It sounds as if you just want to remember the answers, without really understanding them. To deserve PhD in physics, one should do more than that.

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3
    thanks, I think I am good in general concepts and formulas, but the thing is I have a very hard exam for PhD that relates to hard problems.

5. Feb 4, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

A good textbook is, e.g., Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Mechanics.

6. Feb 4, 2015 #5
    Thanks a lot. I will try it.

7. Feb 5, 2015 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

But this is not "a book just including questions and answers" (which, of course, is one of the reasons why it is good).

8. Feb 5, 2015 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, I don't take such a demand seriously from a graduate student preparing for a PhD examination on quantum theory. It's about science and we have to keep the standards we are used to in the international physics community, which is quite high, and this makes a PhD in physics worth the effort!

9. Feb 9, 2015 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I have found a good book on QM which is really written in the form of "questions and answers":
    https://www.amazon.com/Exercises-Qu...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423470893&sr=1-3

There is also a similar book on quantum field theory:
    https://www.amazon.com/Exercises-Qu...d_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0VDH63X655HHM2DKHDEN

The books can also be viewed as collections of exercises, but these are not exercises in the usual sense. The exercises are not applications of general theory to special cases of special cases. Instead, the exercises are the general theory itself.

10. Feb 9, 2015 #9
    I read a couple of books - Q is for Quantum (1998) by Gribbin, The Quantum Story (2011) by Jim Baggott, Quantum; A Guide for the Perplexed (2003) by Jim Al-Khalili, and Quantum Mechanics; Demystified - A Self-Teaching Guide (2005) by David McMahon. I hope this helps.

11. Feb 9, 2015 #10

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

12. Feb 9, 2015 #11
    Try problems and solutions on Quantum Mechanics, a part of the Y K Lim series. It is a collection of problems asked in Ph.D entrance exams in various universities in the US like MIT, Caltech, Wisconsin, Buffalo etc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook