1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum expectation values

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    I'm not sure why PhysicsForums.com isn't displaying my latex properly so I have attached a PDF of the question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that, for a 3D wavepacket,

[itex] \frac{d\langle x^2 \rangle}{dt} $=$ \frac{1}{m}(\langle xp_{x} \rangle+\langle p_{x}x \rangle) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Through several pages of algebra and taking divergences I have come to the following.

[itex] \frac{d\langle x^2\rangle}{dt} $=$ \frac{ih}{2m}\int\int\int{x^{2}(\psi\frac{\partial^{2}{\psi^{*}}}{\partial{x^{2}}}-\psi^{*}\frac{\partial^{2}{\psi}}{\partial{x^{2}}})+4x(\psi\frac{\partial{\psi^{*}}}{\partial{x}}}-\psi^{*}\frac{\partial{\psi}}{\partial{x}})\,dx\,dy\,dz [/itex]

I know the values of <x> and <p> and that my equation must, somehow (if correct), equate to the problem statement. I'm not quite sure if I just don't know how to finish this problem or if my solution thus far is incorrect.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted