Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum falling magnet

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    I take it that it would be ok that in the classic demonstration of Lenz's law with the falling magnet, to replace the magnet with some quantum particle of non-zero magnetic moment and make the tubing a solenoid in order to generate a current as the particle fell? Obviously the current would be miniscule, given the small moment and particle size; I'm just making sure that I have the general idea right first.

p.s. Would this be the right sub-forum for this? Or would it belong in the particle or even classical physics section?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2
    Yes, Experiments are in progress to detect Magnetic Monopoles using this method. It probably wont be a viable method to detect say the the Spin of a neutron.

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    Are you talking about arrangements using SQUIDs like Cabrera did in '82?

5. Jul 31, 2012 #4
    Yes, That is the one

6. Jul 31, 2012 #5
    I'm a little fuzzy as to whether the particles lose any kinetic energy when passing through the SQUID there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook