Quantum Field Theory book

1. Hi, I'd like to ask recommendation for a QFT book. I have seen several other recommendations on this forum, but hopefully I'll provide enough info
    so you guys can have more specific advice.

Background: QM (Griffiths, some parts of Sakurai), GR (Carroll), some residue calculus/lorentz-poincare group.

I am currently using Zee/Peskin/Srednicki, but I am debating to which one to use as a main text (which I read very carefully) because I am moving very slowly if I read all of them well.
    This is for self-study. I like the problems in Peskin, but I don't like his presentation at all.
    On the other hand, I don't like the problems in srednicki, especially his notation, but his derivations are more elegant and compact and detailed.

2. jcsd
  3. WannabeNewton

WannabeNewton 5,853
    Science Advisor

I have the same background as you more or less and I started with Zee (still working through it) mainly because the jump to Srednicki would have been too steep. I asked the same question you did a while back so you may or may not find this useful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=499149

4. Actually, I find Zee hard because he handwaves his way through, which makes some stuff difficult to follow. Srednicki to some extent has been easier on me b/c he actually explicitly computes stuff out.

5. I agree about Zee. At the graduate level, I think Srednicki is the best single book out there right now, but it is in no way an easy book.

6. WannabeNewton

WannabeNewton 5,853
    Science Advisor

Yeah I can see what you mean. I must admit the problems in Srednicki's text have been a lot more helpful not to mention there is a full solutions manual for it online which makes it that much more suited for self - study. I guess I just like the tone that Zee writes with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?