1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum field theory books

1. Aug 7, 2007 #1
    I was wondering if anybody knew any good books that give an easy to understand quantum field theory. I am talking from a view point of a person who has read the third volume of the feynman lectures and quantum mechanics demystified. if this is not enough to even start a easy to understand quantum field theory book could you tell me what other books that you recommend I should read in order to have prerequisites fulfilled in order to being an easy to understand quantum field theory book.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the level of your backgorund in special relativity? Applied math?

4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    it's no good if you only read books on the matter without even exercise it.

5. Aug 7, 2007 #4
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  6. Aug 7, 2007 #5
    i have fairly good knowledge on tensor analysis and general relativity.

7. Aug 7, 2007 #6
    I can only speak of my own experience. I tried to get started with Kaku, Zee, and Srednicki and failed each time. Now I have started with Ryder and have the most success I have had yet. Even so, it's very slow going. Why is that called a steep learning curve?

8. Aug 8, 2007 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I usually recommend A Modern Inroduction to Quantum Field Theory by Michele Maggiore.

I asked about relativity because helps to have seen treatments of the Lorentz and Poincare groups, including their generators. I asked about applied math because it helps to know about the residue theorem.

As Jimmy Snyder has said, it often takes a number of tries to find a book suitable for a particular person.

9. Aug 9, 2007 #8
    Well, OK, it's a looooong learning curve.

10. Aug 9, 2007 #9
    are you sure that this book is easy to understand because so far I have had trouble understanding "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Micheal E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder and Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory.

11. Aug 9, 2007 #10

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might want to consider studying advanced quantum mechanics, theory of special relativity and relativistic quantum mechanics before entering QFT.

Modern Quantum Mechanics, Revised Edition; J.J sakurai;ISBN10: 0201539292
    Introduction to Special Relativity; Robert Resnick; ISBN10: 0471717258
    Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory; Franz Gross; ISBN10: 0471353868

Are you or have you taken courses in physics?

12. Aug 9, 2007 #11
    Here is an abridged and revised version of Coleman's 'legendary' lectures.

When you find anywhere, on the net or in your libary a better introductory text then I eat a head.

13. Aug 9, 2007 #12
    Maggiore starts out at a pretty mathematically sophisticated level with a discussion of Lie groups. I think Srednicki does assume some previous exposure to canonical quantization. You may want to start with books that cover advanced QM topics like Quantum Mechanics II by Rubin Landau or Lectures on Quantum Mechances by Gordon Baym.

14. Aug 9, 2007 #13
    I completely agree with smallphi's comments here: http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Quantum-Theory-Frontiers-Physics/dp/0201503972 (the last reviewer)

I bought the book because it was the one that was in the local bookstore, but it seems that I should have found out more about different books.

15. Aug 9, 2007 #14
    for learing advance quantum mechanics before starting QFT and assuming you already know relativity is "Quanum Theory" by David Bohm

16. Aug 10, 2007 #15
    Well, I meant hat rather. I'm not that scary.

But please really try my above mentioned lecture notes. They are all what Peskin is not. That is plenty of conceptual explanations and the ideas behind the calculations.

17. Aug 12, 2007 #16
    is "Quantum Theory" by David Bohm a good book that covers all of quantum mechanics?

18. Aug 13, 2007 #17
    If you want something inexpensive, Park's book is more modern.

19. Jan 6, 2009 #18
    Hi, sorry for posting on an old thread.

I am a graduate student (MSc) in particle physics, and I am looking for a RQM/QFT book. My professor has suggested the following books and I was wondering which book would be the best choice:

Aitchison and Hey: Gauge Theories in Particle Physics
    Itzykson and Zuber: Quantum Field Theory
    Peskin and Schroeder: An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
    Gross: Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory
    Ryder: Quantum Field Theory
    Quigg: Gauge Theories of the Strong, Weak, and Electromagnetic Interactions
    Guidry: Gauge Field Theories: An Introduction with Applications
    Bjorken and Drell: Relativisitc Quantum Mechanics
    Wu and Pauchy Hwang: Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Fields

Obviously prices are issues to consider, but I am willing to pay if the book is that much better. Feel free to suggest other books that would be good for my level (I have used Sakurai for Non-Relativistic Quantum Mechanics course). Thank you in advance!

20. Jan 8, 2009 #19

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gross I recommend since I use it myself! :-) It is quite easy to follow and good notation and detailed. Altough, the logic if the book might not be the best and sometimes you must figure out in what order to study topics and some topics are not presented in their most general form. e.g. the section about Gauge theories is applied to the Dirac lagrangian, and not the most general one.

Peskin, Requires more background than gross, Gross starts with developing concepts of cross section, fourier decomposition, Klein Gordon equation, Lorentz group and Dirac Equation, Peskin requires one to be almost entire familiar with those topics before you can begin to real stuff. The good thing is that things are presented in a quite general way and it covers lot of material and is detailed (hence almost 900pages!). Also it is standard, you can easy google and find answers/hints/solutions to excersices, errata and comments on the material covered in the book.

Otherwise the textbook of Mandl is really good and easy if you only want to learn upp to standard electroweak interactions, the book is only 350 pages. The bad thing is that the notation is quite old =/
    Also it requires a little background of KG and Dirac equation from elsewhere...

Hope my comments were useful, I am not an expert on QFT at all! I am learning myself at the moment and is using these 3 books.

I can also comment on Mark Srednicki's book "Quantum Field Theor" from cambridge that is really good, but advanced. It could be classified as a mixture of Peskin and Gross, with flow diagram - there are like 80 chapters of the book and each chapter has its own pre-requirements, so that is quite good feature if one wants to self study.

Final advise: Get Gross, if you are looking for one book

21. Feb 23, 2009 #20
    A. Zee, Quantum Field Theory in A Nutshell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?