Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Field Theory

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    Dear All
    I am currently taking " Introduction to Quantum field theory", And I have to do a project by the end of the course. I have searched and i find : QFT in curved space, QFT for higher spins... But i need other suggestion of topics I can do as a project. Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I'd not say that QFT in curved space is "introductory". First one should get a good understanding of QFT in (flat) Minkowski space. Also to give ideas, one should know about the expected level of the project and how much effort you want/have to put into it.

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    Thank you.
    In fact it is not so introductory. And i am studying it deeply and in details using Weinberg. I have 1 month to finish it. I just need a good and interesting topic to work on.
    Thank you for your reply.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Ok, then a nice topic is perhaps to understand asymptotic freedom of QCD at the one-loop level. You need the renormalization group. A very clever idea is to learn about the "background field gauge", which makes the problem easier in the sense that you need to calculate "only" self-energy diagrams, because in this gauge you have straight-forward Ward-Takahashi identities rather than the more complicated (and more genereal) Slavnov-Taylor identities. It's in Weinberg Vol. II, but maybe the original articles by Abbott are also a good starting point.

http://inspirehep.net/search?ln=en&...e background field&of=hb&sf=earliestdate&so=d

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook