Quantum fluctations and singularities.

In summary, the conversation discusses the connection between M-theory and string theory in terms of their effects on quantum fluctuations and the possibility of singularities in black holes. It is suggested that the fundamental size limit of the Planck length in M-theory may remove singularities from the theory, but the issue is not yet fully understood. The conversation also touches on the role of quantum effects on a Planck scale and how they may differ between general relativity and string theory."
martinrandau
Can one say that it is the same factors (whatever they may be, I don't know) in M-theory/String theory that puts away the effects of quantum fluctations, and also puts away the need/possibility of a singularity in a black hole?

I see a connection since M-theory sets a limit of size (planck- length?), and thus the small but non negliable effects of quantum mechanics on a small scale can be ignored, since string theory sets a smallest limit which is bigger than the level at which quantum fluctations occur.

The same reasoning goes for black hole singularities, though I can't explain that with the details used above.

How are these two factors/effects of string theory connected (do they even exist?).

//Martin

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by martinrandau
I see a connection since M-theory sets a limit of size (planck- length?), and thus the small but non negliable effects of quantum mechanics on a small scale can be ignored, since string theory sets a smallest limit which is bigger than the level at which quantum fluctations occur.

What? Quantum effects are very important on the Planck scale. (And why should we "ignore" a "non-negligible" effect? Isn't that an oxymoron?)

The same reasoning goes for black hole singularities, though I can't explain that with the details used above.

Is is thought that a fundamental size limit in the form of the Planck length may remove singularities from the theory. It is known that this can happen for some singularities, but the issue of generic black hole singularities is not yet well-understood.

http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/0106148

Interestingly, on the existence of singularities, see also:

http://arXiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9503062

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
What? Quantum effects are very important on the Planck scale. (And why should we "ignore" a "non-negligible" effect? Isn't that an oxymoron?)

What I meant was that, as string theory sets a smallest level, the fluctations, etc. that hinders General Relativity from working at a sub- Planck level no longer exists. Do you know what I mean?

What I meant was that, as string theory sets a smallest level, the fluctations, etc. that hinders General Relativity from working at a sub- Planck level no longer exists. Do you know what I mean?

I'm still not sure what you mean. General relativity doesn't work on a Planck scale even in string theory --- it's a fully quantum-gravitational regime. Or did mean that Planck-scale string physics is different from general relativity's predictions for the Planck scale (and below)?

1. What are quantum fluctuations?

Quantum fluctuations refer to the random, temporary changes in the energy levels of subatomic particles. These fluctuations are a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

2. How do quantum fluctuations relate to singularities?

Quantum fluctuations can lead to the formation of a singularity, which is a point of infinite density and zero volume. This can happen when the energy levels of particles become so extreme that they collapse into a single point, creating a singularity.

3. Are quantum fluctuations observable?

Yes, quantum fluctuations have been observed in laboratory experiments and are a well-established phenomenon in quantum mechanics. However, they are only observable on a very small scale and can be difficult to detect.

4. Can quantum fluctuations affect the macroscopic world?

While quantum fluctuations are primarily observed in the microscopic world, they can have an indirect effect on the macroscopic world. For example, they can influence the behavior of larger particles and contribute to phenomena such as quantum tunneling and the Casimir effect.

5. How do scientists study quantum fluctuations and singularities?

Scientists use various theoretical models and experimental techniques, such as quantum field theory and particle accelerators, to study quantum fluctuations and singularities. These studies help us better understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how particles interact with each other.