Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum fluctations and singularities.

1. Nov 18, 2003 #1
    Can one say that it is the same factors (whatever they may be, I don't know) in M-theory/String theory that puts away the effects of quantum fluctations, and also puts away the need/possibility of a singularity in a black hole?

I see a connection since M-theory sets a limit of size (planck- length?), and thus the small but non negliable effects of quantum mechanics on a small scale can be ignored, since string theory sets a smallest limit which is bigger than the level at which quantum fluctations occur.

The same reasoning goes for black hole singularities, though I can't explain that with the details used above.

How are these two factors/effects of string theory connected (do they even exist?).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2003 #2
    What? Quantum effects are very important on the Planck scale. (And why should we "ignore" a "non-negligible" effect? Isn't that an oxymoron?)

Is is thought that a fundamental size limit in the form of the Planck length may remove singularities from the theory. It is known that this can happen for some singularities, but the issue of generic black hole singularities is not yet well-understood.

Interestingly, on the existence of singularities, see also:

4. Nov 18, 2003 #3
    Re: Re: Quantum fluctations and singularities.

5. Nov 18, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Re: Quantum fluctations and singularities.

I'm still not sure what you mean. General relativity doesn't work on a Planck scale even in string theory --- it's a fully quantum-gravitational regime. Or did mean that Planck-scale string physics is different from general relativity's predictions for the Planck scale (and below)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?