Quantum Fluctuations: Meaning & Universe Creation

In summary, quantum fluctuations are when a zero energy vacuum creates particles and antiparticles that quickly recombine, preserving the zero energy. The idea of creating a universe from a vacuum fluctuation was first proposed by Edward P. Tryon in 1973, where the negative energy of gravitational potential balances the positive energy of matter. However, this theory is no longer as significant today. Some current models, like Alex Vilenkin's, propose that a closed universe on the verge of collapse "quantum tunneled" into nothing, creating our universe. It is believed that the laws of physics and spacetime already existed prior to this event. The possibility of our universe existing as a brane in a higher dimensional spacetime has also been
mattthecat
I want to get some opinions on quantum fluctuations what they mean, and how they could have created our universe. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
To try to make a long story short, a quantum fluctuation is when a zero energy vacuum makes some particles and antiparticles that quickly recombine preserving the zero energy.

Probably the first significant paper on creating the universe from a vacuum fluctuation was:

Tryon, Edward P. "Is the Universe a Vacuum Fluctuation," in Nature, 246(1973), pp. 396–397.

The idea was that the negative energy of the gravitational potential was balanced by the positive energy of matter thus preserving the zero energy.

Of course, the vacuum was preassumed to exist making this theory less significant today.

Some current models by Alex Vilenkin (amoung others) propose that a closed universe was on the verge of collapse but "quantum tunneled" into literally nothing making our universe. So the collapsing closed universe and physical laws already had to exist.

So it would seem that quantum fluctuations would only be relevant after the vacuum was already in place? We certainly need a broader understanding of non demensional existence prior to the big bang. Hypothetically speaking assuming the vacuum state would have always existed in a state independent of time, could quantum fluctuations inflate into bubble universes, time being created in ours? Is this what is meant by quantum tunnled into existence?

Last edited:
mattthecat said:
So it would seem that quantum fluctuations would only be relevant after the vacuum was already in place? We certainly need a broader understanding of non demensional existence prior to the big bang. Hypothetically speaking assuming the vacuum state would have always existed in a state independent of time, could quantum fluctuations inflate into bubble universes, time being created in ours? Is this what is meant by quantum tunnled into existence?

I'm not sure you have a viable model of anything without presupposing the vacuum. If you don't have it, then you're breaking QM statistics from the get-go.

So what would the model be of prior big bang vacuum? Obviously you need a vacuum for these fluctuations, however wouldn't the laws of physics not be defined yet?

mattthecat said:
So what would the model be of prior big bang vacuum? Obviously you need a vacuum for these fluctuations, however wouldn't the laws of physics not be defined yet?
Any sort of mathematical model humans create would of course be based on the laws of physics as we know them. That is, general relativity to the vacuum as a whole (probably an flat empty space solution) and quantum mechanics below the Planck length.

Could the laws of physics be different for the vacuum that sprouted our universe? I would guess the answer is most likely no. But to answer your original question, you need physics and spacetime to sprout universes from quantum fluctuations or tunneling events. I think most of the current mainstream models are of a closed universe in a separate space time that was about to collapse but instead the very unlikely event of quantum tunneling occurred and our universe big banged and inflated and so on...

Thanks for your response. A thought to add, I recently read a book by Lisa Randall a theoretical physicist who suggests the possibility of our universe existing as a brane in a higher dimensional spacetime.

mattthecat said:
Thanks for your response. A thought to add, I recently read a book by Lisa Randall a theoretical physicist who suggests the possibility of our universe existing as a brane in a higher dimensional spacetime.
Could be. There are many possibilities. Some like the collapsing closed tunneling idea I discussed; some still like the vacuum fluctuation; others like loop quantum gravity (a flat or open universe that is infinitely old that is approaching a singularity but bounces instead into our universe); some still like the more traditional idea of a general relativity model universe where space and time emerged at t = 0.

Myself, I am not a big multiverse, brane world, or eternal inflation person. I think a single universe with a beginning that perhaps hovered briefly in a quantum state, banged, and then inflated works for me.

1. What are quantum fluctuations?

Quantum fluctuations are small, random changes in the energy of a quantum system. They are an inherent characteristic of the quantum world and are a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. How do quantum fluctuations contribute to the creation of the universe?

According to the inflation theory, quantum fluctuations in the early universe caused tiny variations in the density of matter. These variations eventually grew and formed the large-scale structures we see in the universe today, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

3. Can quantum fluctuations be observed?

Yes, quantum fluctuations can be observed indirectly through their effects on physical systems. For example, the Casimir effect is a phenomenon that occurs due to quantum fluctuations between two closely spaced metal plates.

4. Do quantum fluctuations only occur on a small scale?

While quantum fluctuations are most commonly observed on a small scale, they are also thought to have played a role in the formation of the universe on a large scale. They are believed to have influenced the distribution of matter in the early universe, leading to the formation of galaxies and other structures.

5. Can quantum fluctuations be controlled or harnessed?

At this time, quantum fluctuations cannot be controlled or harnessed in a predictable manner. However, scientists are researching ways to manipulate and utilize quantum fluctuations in fields such as quantum computing and quantum technology.