Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Fluctuations

1. Aug 30, 2014 #1
    How do quantum fluctuations originate?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2
    Quantum mechanics says that nature is intrinsically statistical (non-deterministic) and any statistical system is subject to fluctuations.

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3
    But don't quantum fluctuations violate the conservation of energy?

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

No, they don't. That to me is one of the amazing things about the formalism.

If quantum particles were just like classical particles except with slightly randomized position and momentum then the energy would not be conserved. But the way that it actually works conserves energy.

6. Sep 1, 2014 #5
    So you're talking about virtual particles and real particles alike?

7. Sep 1, 2014 #6

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its a by-product of Quantum Field Theory (QFT)

It's a subject I have been making attempts to really understand for a while - I have gone through some books but not to the depth I personally would like.

Recently I have come across a VERY good book that is just at the right level for me, and am enjoying going through it right now:
    https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Field-Theory-Gifted-Amateur/dp/019969933X

Highly recommend it.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Sep 1, 2014 #7

Any insights, if you could state some?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Sep 1, 2014 #8

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not from that book because I am going through it now.

But from my previous readings there is a deep sickness in QFT that has to be resolved by what is called renormalisation at all levels.

Right at the start you get an infinite energy for the so called no particle state which is blatantly absurd. So you need to have a cut-off and say our theories are true only up to a certain energy.

To me that is very deep and profound. This is the modern version of how we look at renormalisation:
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0212049.pdf

The above paper I have studied to a level I am happy with, and believe is a very deep insight about fundamental physics.

Thanks
    Bill

10. Sep 1, 2014 #9
  11. Sep 1, 2014 #10

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Let's say we have an ensemble of similarly prepared systems. If we make a measurement of the energy of each system then in general we will get a different answer because the energy is stochastic.

But this doesn't mean there is a violation of energy conservation because such a violation entails that the system actually possesses a definite energy that changes discontinuously which is not what we have here; rather we have a system with an inherently probabilistic value of energy that isn't known until we make a measurement.

And if we make measurements on a sufficiently large ensemble then eventually the measurements of energy will converge towards the average value. QM states that this average value, or "expectation value", will remain conserved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook