Exploring the Quantum Foam: Martin Bojowald & Renate Loll

• Thread starter Steve1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, Bojowald and LQC's research into the quantum foam landscape and its implications for cosmology is very promising. This is in addition to the work being done by Ambjorn and Loll, which is also of interest.
Steve1
I been visiting the physicsforums for quit a while now. I am very interested in the publications of martin Bojowald and in specific by Renate Loll publications.

What can her work mean for Cosmology in the future, what will the Quantum foam landscape that she working on tell us about nature, an the nature of BB singularity ?.. Can someone help me to visualise that a little !.

Space news on Phys.org
Steve, I like the work of Loll and Ambjorn too.
the most recent update on what they are doing, that is available online, was given by Ambjorn at the June 2007 Loops conference.

She gave an invited talk at the GRG 18 conference in Sydney in July, so maybe they are taking turns and it was Ambjorn's turn in June. they have been collaborating since around 1998, if I remember correctly.

If you are interested in their approach you should probably listen to Ambjorn's talk.
==============

one thing that you will find out is that when the application is to COSMOLOGY then Bojowald and LQC have a big advantage because they can calculate numbers.

they can use both analytical tools AND numerical simulation

more new researchers have swarmed into LQC. there is more to do. many cases to study. things to calculate, in the traditional fashion of physicists.

also LQC has been consistently predicting a prior contracting phase, which is very interesting

it also has a brief phase of exponentially accelerating expansion that happens naturally without the need to put in an inflaton field----so it offers the chance of developing an alternative to conventional inflation scenarios
(alternative ways to resolve the horizon problem, flatness, structure formation...)
============

I agree that Loll's approach is extremely interesting and I urge you to listen to Ambjorn's talk, to get up to date on latest news about it.
But just in terms of applications to cosmology, there is currently much more activity in LQC
===============

Loops 07 program
http://www.matmor.unam.mx/eventos/loops07/program.html

plenary (invited) talks page (Ambjorn, Bojowald, Ashtekar...here)
http://www.matmor.unam.mx/eventos/loops07/plen_abs.html

contributed talks page
http://www.matmor.unam.mx/eventos/loops07/cont_abs.html

There is a chance that the approach being developed by a postdoc in Loll's group at Utrecht, named Dan ORITI, may prove to be a framework in which Causal Dynamical Triangulations can be calculated analytically. Oriti gave a plenary talk at Loops '07 and mentioned this possibility.

I have to go. back later. this is interesting to think about----implications of QG in cosmology. glad you brought it up

Last edited:
I think it wise to reserve judgement for now. Bojowald's work is very exciting, but speculative - as is Loll's. I would like to see some observational evidence. Interestingly enough, it may emerge from a computer [a Hardy thing]. The universe appears to obey principles of quantum information processing. I find that fascinating.

1. What is the quantum foam?

The quantum foam is a concept in theoretical physics that describes the fluctuating and turbulent nature of spacetime at very small scales. It is thought to be the fundamental fabric of the universe, made up of tiny, constantly changing units of spacetime.

2. Who are Martin Bojowald and Renate Loll?

Martin Bojowald and Renate Loll are both prominent physicists who have made significant contributions to the study of quantum gravity and the quantum foam. They have collaborated on numerous research projects and published several papers together.

3. How do Bojowald and Loll explore the quantum foam?

Bojowald and Loll use a mathematical tool called loop quantum gravity to explore the quantum foam. This approach combines principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to describe the fundamental structure of spacetime at a quantum level.

4. What are some potential implications of studying the quantum foam?

Studying the quantum foam has the potential to help us better understand the nature of the universe, including the origins of spacetime and the behavior of matter at the smallest scales. It could also have practical applications in areas such as quantum computing and advanced materials.

5. Are there any current experiments or observations that support the existence of the quantum foam?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the existence of the quantum foam. However, there are several ongoing experiments and observations, such as the search for gravitational waves and the study of the cosmic microwave background radiation, that could potentially provide insights into the nature of the quantum foam.