Understanding Elementary Gates For Quantum Computation

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation of a general \wedge_{1}(W) gate using a network of one bit gates and CNOT gates, where W is a unitary 2x2 matrix. The problem is divided into two parts, the if part and the only if part, and the logic behind this is not fully understood. The equations used include A.B.C=I and A.X.B.X.C=W, where X is a Pauli X matrix. It is noted that W must belong to SU(2) and have a determinant of 1 for the simulation to be successful. The concept of a controlled unitary operation is also mentioned.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

With reference to a research paper on "Elementary gates for Quantum computation", I'm unable to understand certain concepts given in it. I am providing a link to this paper which is:
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/9503/9503016v1.pdf
Lemma 5.1
For a unitary 2x2 matrix W, a [tex]\wedge[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex](W) gate can be simulated by a network of the form,
where A,B and C belong to SU(2)(Lie group) , if and only if W belongs to SU(2).

Before getting into the problem, I would like to get familiar with the notations in it. They speak of simulation of general [tex]\wedge[/tex][tex]_{1}[/tex](W) gate. How do u read it?[tex]\wedge[/tex] is the boolean AND. In this Lemma are they trying to prove that any 2 bit gate can be simulated using 3 one bit gates and 2 CNOT gates provided det(W)=1? Also, the whole problem is divided into 2 parts namely the if part and the only if part. What is the logic behind this?

Homework Equations

A.B.C=I & A.X.B.X.C=W where X is a Pauli X matrix.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that it is a controlled unitary operation. We consider here 2 cases of applying first a 0 to the top bit and then a 1 to the top bit.There is no change in the output from the lower bit if the top bit is 0 as is the case for a controlled operation and hence A.B.C=I is applied otherwise A.X.B.X.C=W applied.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, this circuit gives us the matrix W which should be unitary and hence det(W)=1. That is why we require that W belongs to SU(2).

Dear student,

I understand your confusion and I will try my best to clarify the concepts mentioned in the research paper for you. Let's start with the notation \wedge_{1}(W). This is not the boolean AND, but rather a notation used in quantum computation to represent a controlled unitary operation. In this case, the gate W is controlled by the first bit, and the output of the operation depends on the state of the first bit. This gate is also known as a controlled-U gate, where U is the unitary operation controlled by the first bit.

Now, in Lemma 5.1, the authors are proving that any 2x2 unitary matrix W can be simulated by a network of the form shown in the paper, where A, B, and C are all 2x2 unitary matrices. This means that any 2-bit gate can be simulated by using 3 one-bit gates and 2 CNOT gates, as you correctly stated.

The authors also divide the proof into two parts - the "if" part and the "only if" part. The "if" part shows that if W belongs to the special unitary group SU(2), then it can be simulated using the network shown. The "only if" part shows that if W can be simulated using the network, then it must belong to SU(2). This is a common approach in mathematics and is used to prove the equivalence between two statements.

In terms of the logic behind this, the authors are essentially showing that any 2-bit gate can be broken down into simpler operations, namely one-bit gates and CNOT gates. This is important because it allows for the implementation of quantum algorithms using a limited set of basic operations, making it easier to design and build quantum computers.

I hope this helps to clarify some of the concepts mentioned in the paper. It is a complex topic and may take some time to fully understand, but keep working at it and don't hesitate to ask for further clarification if needed. it is important to have a thorough understanding of the concepts and theories in your field of study. Keep up the good work!

1. What are elementary gates in quantum computation?

Elementary gates in quantum computation are the basic building blocks of quantum circuits. They are mathematical operations that act on quantum bits (qubits) to perform specific operations such as flipping the state of a qubit or entangling multiple qubits.

2. How are elementary gates different from classical logic gates?

Elementary gates in quantum computation operate on qubits, which can exist in multiple states at the same time (superposition), unlike classical logic gates which operate on classical bits that can only exist in a 0 or 1 state. This allows for more complex operations and faster processing in quantum computation.

3. What is the significance of understanding elementary gates in quantum computation?

Understanding elementary gates is crucial for building and designing quantum circuits, which are the foundation of quantum computation. It also allows for the development of more advanced quantum algorithms and applications that can harness the power of quantum mechanics to solve complex problems more efficiently.

4. How many types of elementary gates are there in quantum computation?

There are six types of elementary gates in quantum computation: Hadamard, Pauli X, Pauli Y, Pauli Z, CNOT, and SWAP gates. Each of these gates performs a specific operation on qubits and can be combined to create more complex circuits.

5. Are elementary gates the only type of gates used in quantum computation?

No, there are also composite gates, which are made up of multiple elementary gates. They are used to perform more complex operations that cannot be achieved with a single elementary gate. There are also non-elementary gates, such as Toffoli and Fredkin gates, which are used for more specialized tasks in quantum computation.