Reconciling Quantum Field Theory and General Relativity: Progress and Challenges

In summary: No, you did not misunderstand. String theory posits that elementary particles are made of tiny vibrating loops of energy. Efforts to combine string theory with cosmology have led to inflationary models that generate gravitational waves with energies much lower than the level detected by BICEP2, he says.Theoretical physicist Eva Silverstein of Stanford says she disagrees that string theory-based models of inflation are in any sort of trouble. “There is no sense in which we are forced to start over,” she says. She adds that in fact a separate class of theories that involve both axions and strings now look promising.Linde agrees. “There is no need to discard string theory, it is
arupel
I speak as an novice in this matter.

Has progress been made in reconciling quantum field theory with general relativity?

I know that there are theories which show reconciliation but none that seem to be verifiable empirically.

Gravitons seem, from a practical viewpoint, impossible to detect.

Just like to know in what ways empirical verification is going.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
arupel said:
I speak as an novice in this matter.

Has progress been made in reconciling quantum field theory with general relativity?

I know that there are theories which show reconciliation but none that seem to be verifiable empirically.

Gravitons seem, from a practical viewpoint, impossible to detect.

Just like to know in what ways empirical verification is going.

Thanks

Depends on what you mean by progress. I am not aware of any experiment that indicates that gravitons exist. There are experimental ideas in this regard, but none that have much come to fruition. One of the ideas being decoherence due to gravitational interaction, which would indicate gravity is a quantum force.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0910.2322

And a different scheme:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.01237

Likes bhobba
I have not been up to date on this but has the supposed detected existence of gravitational waves be an argument that gravity is a force?

In another vein my own feeling is that gravity is not a force because it involves an inherent contradiction:

I do not know if this analogy means anything, but I'll give it anyway.

Bertrand Russell noted that a self-referential statement has no meaning.

Very basically (in classical mechanics) a force is a push or a pull in a medium (space) at a duration (time).
Updating this crude statement slightly a force is a push or a pull in the medium of the spacetime continuum.
Acknowledged this is not the way to view forces in particle physics, but stay with this.

In general relativity (gravity) the discussion is from mass/energy to the deformation in the spacetime continuum.

Break it down further. We are discussing a deformation of the spacetime continuum in the medium of the space time continuum.

Is it possible to see this as a self-referential statement and therefore has no meaning? Gravity is not a force

This is a little like painting on white cardbord with white paint of exactly the same hue. Everything is exact, and nothing can be seen.

Another analogy for this is that while standing you try to pull yourself upwards by pulling on your legs.

Spacetime to spacetime-self referential, no meaning.

This has always bothers me that gravity which changes the medium upon which it operates can be seen as a force in QM.

Does the recent news about the LIGO detector data concerning the black hole merger help in regards to proving or disproving the theory that gravitons may exist?

Rubidium_71 said:
Does the recent news about the LIGO detector data concerning the black hole merger help in regards to proving or disproving the theory that gravitons may exist?

No change on that front.

one can see the following for connecting the observation of gravity waves and its significance ;

the fluctuations of quantum fields as seen by late comoving observers are significantly influenced by the history of the early Universe, and therefore they transmit information about the nature of spacetime in timescales when quantum gravitational effects were non-negligible. We discuss how this may be observable even nowadays, and thus used to build falsifiability tests of quantum gravity theories.
The Quantum Echo of the Early Universe Ana Blasco, Luis J. Garay, Mercedes Mart´ın-Benito, and Eduardo Mart´ın-Mart´ınez
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1501.05682.pdf

I heard that gravitational waves detection would disprove, or make a lot of problems to string theory. Is it true?

quantumgeography said:
I heard
Where?

,,The BICEP2 results will also send some string theorists back to the drawing board, says Frank Wilczek, a theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate at MIT. String theory posits that elementary particles are made of tiny vibrating loops of energy. Efforts to combine string theory with cosmology have led to inflationary models that generate gravitational waves with energies much lower than the level detected by BICEP2, he says.

Theoretical physicist Eva Silverstein of Stanford says she disagrees that string theory-based models of inflation are in any sort of trouble. “There is no sense in which we are forced to start over,” she says. She adds that in fact a separate class of theories that involve both axions and strings now look promising.

Linde agrees. “There is no need to discard string theory, it is just a normal process of learning which versions of the theory are better,” he says. “All of us, not just string theorists, should go back to the drawing board, but not because we failed, but because we learned something very important and now we should use this knowledge to make further steps.”
from http://www.nature.com/news/gravitational-wave-finding-causes-spring-cleaning-in-physics-1.14910
Maybe i misunderstood it.

DrChinese said:
One of the ideas being decoherence due to gravitational interaction, which would indicate gravity is a quantum force.

What do you mean by quantum force?

quantumgeography said:
[...]
Efforts to combine string theory with cosmology have led to inflationary models that generate gravitational waves with energies much lower than the level detected by BICEP2, he says.
[...]
from http://www.nature.com/news/gravitational-wave-finding-causes-spring-cleaning-in-physics-1.14910

Wrong experiment. In fact the results mentioned in that 2014(!) article aren't caused by primordial gravitational waves.
Source: http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/bicep2-gravitational-wave-discovery-deflates-150130.htm

Likes quantumgeography
,,The BICEP2 results will also send some string theorists back to the drawing board , says Frank Wilczek, a theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate at MIT,, So, he was wrong?

quantumgeography said:
,,The BICEP2 results will also send some string theorists back to the drawing board , says Frank Wilczek, a theoretical physicist and Nobel laureate at MIT,, So, he was wrong?

I don't know exactly which specific results he was talking about. If it was the gravitational waves, the issue is non-existent.

Likes quantumgeography
JorisL said:
I don't know exactly which specific results he was talking about. If it was the gravitational waves, the issue is non-existent.
Thank you very much for answer.

What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of gravity and quantum mechanics in order to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scales of the universe.

What is the current progress in understanding quantum gravity?

While there is no complete theory of quantum gravity, there has been significant progress in developing various approaches, such as string theory, loop quantum gravity, and asymptotic safety. However, there is still much work to be done in order to fully understand the nature of quantum gravity.

Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it is believed to be necessary for a complete understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It could potentially help explain the behavior of black holes, the origin of the universe, and the nature of space and time.

What are the challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity?

One of the main challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity is the fact that it requires reconciling two vastly different theories, general relativity and quantum mechanics, which have been successful in their respective domains but are incompatible with each other.

What are some potential implications of a theory of quantum gravity?

If a theory of quantum gravity is successfully developed, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.