1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Gravity

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    I am an undergraduate student of phyiscs major. If i want to work on Quantum Gravity then do i need to continue MSc Physics? Or Others like High energy phyiscs or particle physics or Astro?

My aim is to be a teacher at a top University and Research on Quantum Gravity & String theory.

Can you guide me? I mean which brunch of physics should i choose, which one is bad for career,how should i advance etc.. just like that.

Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Also thinking about this `career path'.

Personally I majored in Physics/Pure Maths at The University of Sydney and am now doing theoretical particle physics Honours at the University of Melbourne. I'm hoping to do a PhD in the states at some stage.

I've been informed from a string theorist that some important areas of maths for particle physics are representation theory of Lie algebras and Algebraic topology. I've taken neither but if you get a chance it would be adviseable for QG.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Feb 18, 2008 #3
    Thanks. I will remember.
  5. Feb 18, 2008 #4
    SuperStringboy, first of all, you should pick up a brunch of physics that you really like. There are plenty of them: High Energy Physics (HEP), quantum gravity, condensed matter physics, photonics, solid state physics and many, many more!

What would be really useful is to take many classes in different aspects of physics, so that you can realize which field you like, if you're good at it etc. You could also talk to some of your professors in your department about their research, the possibilities of surviving in such a field, the difficulties, the problems and so on.

If you are young don't hurry too much to make a choice, just keep your eyes and ears open and it will hit you some time! There is no reason to be definite about your career at this stage of education. One could enter a (hopefully flexible) graduate school and build one's scientific personality throughout the years!
  6. Feb 18, 2008 #5
    Yes, but you might like to think about going to a university with a theoretical inclination. I didn't and ended up having to move city to pursue my ambition.

Just my 2 cents.
  7. Feb 18, 2008 #6
    Which string theorist?
  8. Feb 18, 2008 #7
    There's only one, all the others are just different modes of vibration.
  9. Feb 18, 2008 #8

Thanks. Nice words
  10. Feb 18, 2008 #9

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

11. Feb 18, 2008 #10
  12. Feb 19, 2008 #11
    He seems good. Maybe you can study with him for a Phd so you don't have to travel overseas? Why didn't you do honours with him?
  13. Feb 19, 2008 #12
    I was considering it but I decided I'd like to learn the standard model of particle physics before I tackle string theory. Plus he's basically the only string theorist in that uni.

University of Melbourne has a strong particle theory group and an excellent coursework which preps you in the standard model: quantum theory (relativistic and nonrelativistic) quantum field theory, general relativity and lots of particle physics. It's by far the best department for particle theory in Australia.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?