Quantum Hall Effect Basics: Topological Insulator & Semi-Metal

In summary, the individual is seeking short resources on the Quantum Hall Effect and Quantum Spin Hall Effect at an Advanced Graduate Physics level. They have already found S Taylor (2015) and S Meng (2018) but need resources that are shorter in order to understand the basics of topological insulators and semi-metals. They are also interested in understanding their professor's computational papers on topological Weyl semi-metals and are open to videos that are a couple of hours in length. They have previously posted about etymology but only received one useful response, which they argue is not basic.
chow_dhury
TL;DR Summary
I need good resources on Quantum Hall Effect and quantum spin hall effect.
I need them short. I need them so I can understand the basics of topological insulator and semi-metal.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
chow_dhury said:
Summary: I need good resources on Quantum Hall Effect and quantum spin hall effect.

I need them short. I need them so I can understand the basics of topological insulator and semi-metal.
What references have you found so far? It would help to see what you have found, so we don't duplicate the searching that you have done already.

Also, you have marked this thread with the "A" prefix, which implies that you want references at the Advanced Graduate Physics level. Is that correct? Your other thread had the prefix changed from "A" to "B" (Basic) based on the question and your one reply in that thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/condensed-matter-physics.1016222/

berkeman said:
What references have you found so far? It would help to see what you have found, so we don't duplicate the searching that you have done already.

Also, you have marked this thread with the "A" prefix, which implies that you want references at the Advanced Graduate Physics level. Is that correct? Your other thread had the prefix changed from "A" to "B" (Basic) based on the question and your one reply in that thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/condensed-matter-physics.1016222/
I found S Taylor, 2015; and S Meng, 2018.
I need to grasp the papers of my professor on topological Weyl semimetal. These are computational; right now I can't afford to study any text too longer than the aforementioned ones. If it's a video, a couple of hours would be fine.

The other post was about etymology, and I just found just one useful answer. I argue that's definitely not basic.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the Quantum Hall Effect?

The Quantum Hall Effect is a phenomenon that occurs in two-dimensional electron systems at low temperatures and high magnetic fields. It is characterized by the quantization of the Hall resistance, meaning that the resistance of the material changes in discrete steps rather than continuously. This effect is a result of the topological properties of the material.

2. What are Topological Insulators?

Topological insulators are materials that behave as insulators in their bulk, but have conducting surface states. These surface states are topologically protected, meaning that they cannot be easily destroyed by impurities or defects. This makes topological insulators ideal for applications in quantum computing and spintronics.

3. How are Topological Insulators different from regular insulators?

Topological insulators have a unique electronic band structure that gives rise to conducting surface states. In regular insulators, the band structure is such that there are no conducting states at the surface. Additionally, topological insulators are robust against disorder and impurities, while regular insulators can become conducting in the presence of defects.

4. What are Semi-Metals?

Semi-metals, also known as semi-conductors, are materials that have properties between those of metals and insulators. They have a band gap that is smaller than that of insulators, but larger than that of metals. This allows them to have some conducting properties, but not as much as metals. Semi-metals are commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

5. How is the Quantum Hall Effect related to Topological Insulators and Semi-Metals?

The Quantum Hall Effect is a topological phenomenon that is observed in certain materials, including topological insulators and semi-metals. These materials have unique electronic properties that give rise to the quantization of the Hall resistance. The study of the Quantum Hall Effect has led to a better understanding of the topological properties of these materials and their potential applications in quantum computing and other fields.