Quantum harmonic oscillator minimum energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the minimum energy of a harmonic oscillator and the uncertainty principle, which states that the fluctuations of position and momentum cannot both be zero at the same time. This leads to the conclusion that the minimum energy cannot be smaller than the uncertainty in momentum. However, the derivation of the minimum energy using the uncertainty principle is not strictly accurate and a more precise method would involve ladder-operator technique or solving the Schrödinger's equation.
kof9595995
Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy is at a minimum when the momentum is precisely zero. On the other hand, the potential energy is at a minimum when the coordinate x is precisely zero. But they cannot be zero at the same time - Heisenberg's uncertainty principle forbids it. So instead we replace the quantities by their "fluctuation" around the values [tex]x=0[/tex] and [tex]p=0[/tex]. The fluctuations are just [tex]\Delta p[/tex] and [tex]\Delta x[/tex]. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle simply states that these fluctuations (or uncertainties) are related by:

[tex]\Delta p\Delta x \geq \hbar/2[/tex]

Which again tells us that the fluctuations cannot both be zero at the same time. If we set the momentum precisely zero (so also no fluctuations) then the kinetic energy is zero as well. But then the fluctuations of the position blows up, and the potential energy does so too. So the situations where the momentum is precisely zero certainly does not correspond to the minimum energy.

If I'm not clear enough, just let me know :)

Well,thanks. But I'm still confused, because as far as I can understand, even around p=0 [tex]\Delta p\[/tex] is not p, uncertainty is the standard deviation of the measurements ,right? so when uncertainty is [tex]\Delta p\[/tex], the p can still much smaller than [tex]\Delta p\[/tex] , so why can't the actual energy be smaller than that?

I think something is wrong with my latex code, please just ignore the funny brackets after delta p

Well, around p=0 one needs to distinguish [tex]\Delta p[/tex] and p, but in fact we are interested only in [tex]\langle p^2 \rangle [/tex] that is equal to [tex]\langle\Delta p^2 \rangle[/tex] in case the mean momentum is 0.

Snarky Fellow said:
Well, around p=0 one needs to distinguish [tex]\Delta p[/tex] and p, but in fact we are interested only in [tex]\langle p^2 \rangle [/tex] that is equal to [tex]\langle\Delta p^2 \rangle[/tex] in case the mean momentum is 0.
So the so called minimum energy is still under the statistical meaning, right?

Snarky Fellow, is this your first post? Welcome to the forum!

Basically, xpema's answer:

[tex]

E = \frac{{{(p+\Delta p)^2}}}{{2m}} + \frac{1}{2}m{\omega ^2}{(x+\Delta x)^2}

[/tex]

For minimum energy, you would classically put p=0 and x=0. Which is what you do above, only that there are uncertainties associated with p and x and the Heisenberg principle does not allow them to be simultaneously zero. For example, if [tex] \Delta p=0 [/tex] then [tex] \Delta x [/tex] would blow up- which does not correspond to the minimum energy.

Actually in harmonic oscillator <p> should be always 0 because of the symmetry, so [tex]\langle p^2 \rangle [/tex]=[tex]\Delta p[/tex], am I right?

elduderino said:
Basically, xpema's answer:

[tex]

E = \frac{{{(p+\Delta p)^2}}}{{2m}} + \frac{1}{2}m{\omega ^2}{(x+\Delta x)^2}

[/tex]

For minimum energy, you would classically put p=0 and x=0. Which is what you do above, only that there are uncertainties associated with p and x and the Heisenberg principle does not allow them to be simultaneously zero. For example, if [tex] \Delta p=0 [/tex] then [tex] \Delta x [/tex] would blow up- which does not correspond to the minimum energy.
This formula does not seem quite right to me; I think it should be just
[tex]E = \frac{{\left\langle {{p^2}} \right\rangle }}{{2m}} + \frac{1}{2}m{\omega ^2}\left\langle {{x^2}} \right\rangle [/tex]
And what Snarky fellow said is why we can substitute [tex] \Delta p^2 [/tex]=[tex]\langle p^2 \rangle [/tex]

kof9595995 said:
Actually in harmonic oscillator <p> should be always 0 because of the symmetry, so [tex]\langle p^2 \rangle [/tex]=[tex]\Delta p[/tex], am I right?

If we deal with an eigen-state of hamiltonian, which is static in some sense, than due to the symmetry the mean momentum will be equal to zero - you're right. Of course, we can take any superposition of eigen-states, where the symmetry could be broken by our choice, but it's out of interest in this problem.

To say honestly, the derivation of minimal energy using the uncertainty principle isn't very strict - it's just an assessment. It proves only that the minimal energy cannot be less than that we've found. The fact they're equal is a mere coincidence. As far as I know, it works only in the case of a harmonic potential. Usually states with a well-determined energy are not the states with the least uncertainty. Thus a good derivation involves ladder-operator technique or solving the Schroedinger's equation. So I suppose, the main idea of this derivation is to show that classical solution in the bottom of the potential condradicts the uncertainty principle.

I think I get the idea, thanks.

1. What is the quantum harmonic oscillator minimum energy?

The quantum harmonic oscillator minimum energy refers to the lowest possible energy state of a quantum harmonic oscillator system. It is the ground state energy level, and any other energy state will have a higher energy value.

2. How is the minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator determined?

The minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is determined by the ground state wavefunction, which is a solution to the Schrödinger equation for the harmonic oscillator potential. This wavefunction has a minimum energy value, which is the minimum energy of the system.

3. Can the minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator be zero?

No, the minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator cannot be zero. This is because of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot both have precise values at the same time. Therefore, even in the ground state, the particle has some minimum energy due to its uncertainty in position and momentum.

4. How does the minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator change with increasing frequency?

The minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator increases with increasing frequency. This can be seen from the equation for the energy of a harmonic oscillator, where the energy is directly proportional to the frequency. As the frequency increases, the energy levels also increase, and the minimum energy increases accordingly.

5. What is the significance of the minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator?

The minimum energy of a quantum harmonic oscillator is significant because it represents the lowest possible energy state of the system. It also serves as a reference point for all other energy states, and the difference between the minimum energy and the energy of other states determines the energy levels of the system. Additionally, the minimum energy is used in various applications, such as in the calculation of the zero-point energy and in understanding the behavior of molecules and atoms.