1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum harmonic question

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    [​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Show work done and the formulas /relations you know, then someone will try to help you.

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    My first thought about this problem is trying to set up a boundary condition for the wavefunction. For 0<x<A, the wavefunction takes the form of simple harmonic oscillators, i.e. N exp(-1/2 alpha x^2) . With boundary condition where psi(x) = 0 at x=0, I'm stuck with the expression of N=0. Maybe, I didn't think it right...

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

N is just a normalization factor, leave that now for the moment.

But you also have Hermite polynomials in the harmonoc wave functions right?

6. Mar 21, 2008 #5
    so, the harmonic wave function can be written as : N H(y) exp(-1/2 alpha x^2) . With the mentioned boundary condition, do I get N*H(y) = 0 ...how would I go from here on to solve the problem?

7. Mar 22, 2008 #6
    The energy is calculated as the expectation value of the Hamiltonian i.e.:
    [tex]E_{n}=\int{{\phi_{n}{(x)H\phi_{n}(x)dx}}[/tex]
    where [tex]\phi_{n}(x)[/tex] is the eigenfunction for the energy-level [tex]E_{n}[/tex]
    In the case of an ordinary one-dimensional harmonic oscillator
    [tex]H=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dx^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}[/tex]
    And therefore the energy is given by
    [tex]E_{n}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{{(\phi_{n}{(x)\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dx^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}\phi_{n}(x))dx}}[/tex]
    In your case you instead integrate from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex].
    So the energy is:
    [tex]E_{n}=\int_{0}^{\infty}{{(\phi_{n}{(x)\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{d^{2}\phi}{dx^{2}}+\frac{1}{2}m\omega^{2}x^{2}\phi_{n}(x))dx}}[/tex]

8. Mar 22, 2008 #7
    but then how do you actually carry out the intergration?

9. Mar 22, 2008 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

have you tried? Where do you get stuck?

10. Mar 23, 2008 #9
    Hi again

I did only give you a clue so you could continue by yourself. But maybe you need some more help. As you know the integral over the even interval [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex] you can use the fact that the integrand is an even function (why?), i.e.
    [tex]f(-x)=f(x)[/tex]

Know you want to integrate over the half interval and therefore use the rule (I suppose you have seen it in some course in mathematics):
    [tex]\int_{-a}^{a}f(x)dx=2\int_{0}^{a}f(x)dx[/tex]

I will give you a detailed solution because I want you to try by yourself, but kmow I suppose you have pathway at least.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?