1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum hw problem

1. Dec 19, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I can't figure this one out: A two-state quantum system is psi = c1|1> + c2|2> and the states are orthonormal and c1 and c2 are complex and normalized condition is c1c1* + c2c2* = 1

where * denotes complex conjugate

The probability of measuring the quantum system to be in state |2> is given by the expectation value of a certain operator P_2

What is the operator P_2

2. Relevant equations

standard expectation value and operator equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I think i figured that the probability to measure the system in state |2> is c2c2*

then c2c2* = <P_2> = <psi|P_2|psi> but going through that I can't figure out how to determine P_2 .... i think i am missing something simple and any help would be very much appreciated! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you done anything with projection operators?

4. Dec 19, 2006 #3
    Let's try thinking about this just a bit.

What's the expectation value of an operator for a state [tex] | a\rangle[/tex]? It's [tex] \langle a | \hat{\mathcal{O}} | a \rangle [/tex]. Well, we can write this as [tex] \sum_i \langle a | o_i \rangle \langle o_i \rangle \hat{\mathcal{O}} | a \rangle [/tex] where [tex]\mathcal{O}[/tex] is the observable in question, and the [tex]|o_i \rangle [/tex] are the eigenstates of the observable. The the above sum becomes

[tex]
    \langle \hat{\mathcal{O}} \rangle = \sum_i | \langle o_i | a \rangle |^2 o_i
    [/tex]

If we interpret this probabilistically, this is the sum over the probability of measuring the value [tex]o_i[/tex] times this value, which is pretty much the definition of an average.

So what's the [tex]\hat{\mathcal{O}}[/tex] that you want?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?