Quantum HW: Find Operator P_2 Given psi and c1c1*+c2c2*=1

• Thread starter quantum99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, the conversation discusses a two-state quantum system with orthonormal states and complex coefficients, and the condition that the coefficients must be normalized. The probability of measuring the system in state |2> is given by the expectation value of a certain operator P_2, which can be determined using projection operators. The expectation value for a state |a> is given by the sum of the probability of measuring the eigenstates of the observable multiplied by their respective values.
quantum99

Homework Statement

I can't figure this one out: A two-state quantum system is psi = c1|1> + c2|2> and the states are orthonormal and c1 and c2 are complex and normalized condition is c1c1* + c2c2* = 1

where * denotes complex conjugate

The probability of measuring the quantum system to be in state |2> is given by the expectation value of a certain operator P_2

What is the operator P_2

Homework Equations

standard expectation value and operator equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i figured that the probability to measure the system in state |2> is c2c2*

then c2c2* = <P_2> = <psi|P_2|psi> but going through that I can't figure out how to determine P_2 ... i think i am missing something simple and any help would be very much appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done anything with projection operators?

Let's try thinking about this just a bit.

What's the expectation value of an operator for a state [tex] | a\rangle[/tex]? It's [tex] \langle a | \hat{\mathcal{O}} | a \rangle [/tex]. Well, we can write this as [tex] \sum_i \langle a | o_i \rangle \langle o_i \rangle \hat{\mathcal{O}} | a \rangle [/tex] where [tex]\mathcal{O}[/tex] is the observable in question, and the [tex]|o_i \rangle [/tex] are the eigenstates of the observable. The the above sum becomes

[tex]
\langle \hat{\mathcal{O}} \rangle = \sum_i | \langle o_i | a \rangle |^2 o_i
[/tex]

If we interpret this probabilistically, this is the sum over the probability of measuring the value [tex]o_i[/tex] times this value, which is pretty much the definition of an average.

So what's the [tex]\hat{\mathcal{O}}[/tex] that you want?

1. What is Quantum HW and why is it important?

Quantum HW is a term used in quantum mechanics to refer to homework or assignments related to the study of quantum systems. It is important because it allows scientists to apply theoretical knowledge and principles to real-world problems and experiments.

2. What is an operator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, an operator is a mathematical symbol or function that represents a physical quantity or operation. It is used to describe the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

3. How do you find Operator P_2 for a given psi and c1c1*+c2c2*=1?

To find Operator P_2, you can use the formula P_2 = |c1|^2 * |psi_1>

4. What is the significance of the expression c1c1*+c2c2*=1 in finding Operator P_2?

The expression c1c1*+c2c2*=1 represents the normalization condition in quantum mechanics, which states that the sum of the probabilities of all possible outcomes must equal 1. This condition ensures that the system is in a physically valid state and is crucial in finding the correct projection operator for a given system.

5. How is Operator P_2 used in quantum mechanics?

Operator P_2 is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a quantum state collapsing to its second eigenstate. This probability is given by the expression , where psi is the initial state of the system. The projection operator is also used in various other calculations and experiments in quantum mechanics.