Why are Microwaves Better for Quantum Info Stability?

In summary, the paper discusses trapping pseudo molecules in a magnetic field gradient and mentions the success of using microwaves instead of lasers due to the difficulty of maintaining frequency stability with lasers. The paper does not mention masers, but rather states that stabilizing lasers is not trivial due to their high frequencies. Microwave sources are commonly used for quantum information, as they are easier to stabilize and interact better with certain techniques. Masers are primarily used as frequency standards and amplifiers, and are not necessary for radiating ions with microwaves in this type of experiment.
Hazzattack
Hi guys, I've been reading a paper recently about trapping pseudo molecules in a magnetic field gradient. It says at one point that one of the successes has been due to using microwaves opposed to lasers; they claim that the reason for this is because lasers are notoriously difficult for maintaining frequency stability. My question is then why are Mazers easier to keep stable?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hazzattack said:
Hi guys, I've been reading a paper recently about trapping pseudo molecules in a magnetic field gradient. It says at one point that one of the successes has been due to using microwaves opposed to lasers; they claim that the reason for this is because lasers are notoriously difficult for maintaining frequency stability. My question is then why are Mazers easier to keep stable?

Thanks in advance.

You must make a proper citation of the source! While this forum may appear to be any ordinary, public forum, we are trying to instill the habit of always citing the source of what we read, heard, etc. So please cite it as if you are making a citation in a science paper (author/s, publication, volume, page, year).

https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=2703 [Broken]

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies, the following is the paper i was reading;

Designer Spin Pseudomolecule Implemented with Trapped Ions in a Magnetic Gradient
A. Khromova, Ch. Piltz, B. Scharfenberger, T. F. Gloger, M. Johanning, A. F. Varo ́ n, and Ch. Wunderlich* Department Physik, Naturwissenschaftlich-Technische Fakulta ̈t, Universita ̈t Siegen, 57068 Siegen, Germany
(Received 3 February 2012; published 1 June 2012)

What journal was this published in?

Zz.

PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS

DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.220502.

Thanks.

I had a quick look at the paper, and I can't see where they explicity state that masers are more stable; as far as I can tell they do not even mention masers,
They do say that lasers are more difficult to work with, but that is a separate issue.

It is true that stabilising lasers is far from trivial, but on the other hand they operate at very high frequencies. Hence, the relatively stability is often extremely good. By using a frequency comb it is also possible to lock a laser to a maser.

Also, the word stability does not mean anything unless you also give a timescale. Hydrogen masers are some of the most stable references we have for short timescales (which is why they are used to generate the timesignal), but they do not work well for longer timescales (which is where atomic clocks work well). Hence, for e.g. keepting track of time we use both masers and atomic clocks (Cs fountains).

Thanks a lot for the response. The paper talks about radiating the ions with microwaves, thus i assumed this would be with a mazer.

You actually don't necessarily need a maser for that. Using microwaves for quantum information is also done in other approaches, for example with superconducting qubits and in combination with lasers in NV-centers. The good thing about microwave is as you stated in the OP that they are much easier to get stable, and that's because simple (though well made) electronic circuits (antennas) can be enough, as long as they are situated close enough to you sample, which are much easier to deal with than lasers.

Also, about the stablilty, what matters for quantum information is usually the short term stability, i.e. you have to remain coherent with your system between pulses/gate operations, and it's much easier to achieve a stable system in the GHz time scale as opposed to the hundreds of THz optical regime. The drawbacks of the microwave regime on the other hand include that it's hard to achieve good focusing and that it doesn't interact well with certain other techniques like coupling to fiber communication, which may be required for some applications.

Hazzattack said:
Thanks a lot for the response. The paper talks about radiating the ions with microwaves, thus i assumed this would be with a mazer.

Masers are hardly ever used for "radiating" anything. The primary applications of masers are as frequency standards and amplifiers.
For the type of experiment they describe in the paper you can just use normal microwave sources, the technology is more or less the same as what is used to generate the microwaves in your mobile phone or WIFI router.

What is the significance of using microwaves for quantum information stability?

Microwaves have a shorter wavelength compared to other electromagnetic radiation, which allows for more precise control and measurement of quantum systems. This makes them highly useful for maintaining the stability of quantum information, which is sensitive to external disturbances.

How do microwaves contribute to reducing quantum decoherence?

Microwaves can be used to manipulate the energy levels of quantum systems, preventing them from absorbing energy from the environment and thus reducing the effects of decoherence. They can also be used to measure the state of a quantum system without disturbing it, allowing for more accurate information without disrupting the system's stability.

What are the limitations of using microwaves for quantum information stability?

Microwaves can only be used to stabilize certain types of quantum systems, and their effectiveness depends on the frequency and intensity of the microwave radiation. Additionally, the use of microwaves requires advanced technology and precise experimental conditions, making it challenging to implement in real-world applications.

Can microwaves be used in conjunction with other techniques for quantum information stability?

Yes, microwaves can be combined with other techniques such as error correction codes and quantum error correction to enhance the stability of quantum information. This allows for a more comprehensive and robust approach to maintaining the integrity of quantum systems.

What are some potential applications of using microwaves for quantum information stability?

Microwaves have the potential to advance fields such as quantum computing, quantum communication, and quantum sensing. They could also be used in developing more secure and efficient methods of data encryption and in creating more accurate sensors for measuring physical quantities at the quantum level.