1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Information

1. Aug 27, 2005 #1
    Hello,

In my university there is a bit of a fuss about Quantum Information (QI). A few professors work in this field and there have been some conferences where they try to explain to the rest what is QI and so on. I think it is safe to say I know a bit of quantum mechanics, not at a professional level though, but I cant understand why having bits in a superposition of states makes computing more efficient and fast. Theoreticaly, you can drastically cut down in search times, and it is said that they could actually make encrypted messages unsafe. I think most encryption is based on very large prime numbers which would be factorized with this quantum computer (!?). I know all this is old news but can anyone explain the crucial point that accounts for this boost in computing power?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2
  4. Aug 28, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A typical function on a Quantum Computer operates on the basis states like this:

|x>|y> → |x>|y + f(x)>

So, if you have a big superposition of states, then one application of your function gets applied to every basis state in the superposition!

Of course, there is a catch: you can only get one answer out of the computer, and you can't directly control which one.

However, if you can write some other function g that can identify the desired result out of the n possible results, then Grover's algorithm lets you get the desired result with high probability. (It involves applying g and some other stuff √n times, where n is the total number of possible results)

Grover's algorithm is often described as an algorithm that can search an n-long list in √n time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?