Are <x> and <p> the same in position and momentum space?

In summary, in order to show that <x> in position space is the same as <p> in momentum space, it is necessary to use two different variables for each Fourier transform (e.g. p and p'). This is because when writing the spatial wavefunctions in terms of their momentum space expressions, using the same variable for both will lead to incorrect results. By using two different variables and carrying out an integration by parts, the integral over x and one of the momentum variables can be solved, thus showing the equivalence between <x> and <p>.
jacobrhcp

Homework Statement

show that <x> in position space is the same as <p> in momentum space.

Homework Equations

[tex] \Phi(p,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{-ipx} \Psi(x,t) dx [/tex] (1
[tex] \Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp [/tex] (2

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] <x> = {{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t) x \Psi(x,t) dx = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp]^{*} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} x e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp] dx [/tex] (2

[tex] = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp]^{*} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} i \hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial p}e^{ipx}) \Phi(p,t) dp] dx = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{-ipx} \Phi^{*}(p,t) dp] [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} i \hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial p}e^{ipx}) \Phi(p,t) dp] dx [/tex]

= ... by (1 = [tex] {{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} \Phi^{*}(p,t) i \hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial p} \Phi(p,t)) dp = <p> [/tex] in momentum space.

I could use some help filling in the blanks. I was thinking integration by parts, which I tried on my paper sheet, but it didn't quite work out. I once was told that if you're stuck on an integral problem, try integration by parts or substitution of variables, but I couldn't make either one work.

Physics news on Phys.org
jacobrhcp said:

Homework Statement

show that <x> in position space is the same as <p> in momentum space.

Homework Equations

[tex] \Phi(p,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{-ipx} \Psi(x,t) dx [/tex] (1
[tex] \Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp [/tex] (2

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] <x> = {{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} \Psi^{*}(x,t) x \Psi(x,t) dx = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp]^{*} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} x e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp] dx [/tex] (2

[tex] = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{ipx} \Phi(p,t) dp]^{*} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} i \hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial p}e^{ipx}) \Phi(p,t) dp] dx = \frac{1}{2\pi\hbar}{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} e^{-ipx} \Phi^{*}(p,t) dp] [{{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} i \hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial p}e^{ipx}) \Phi(p,t) dp] dx [/tex]

= ... by (1 = [tex] {{\int_{-\infty}}^\infty} \Phi^{*}(p,t) i \hbar (\frac{\partial}{\partial p} \Phi(p,t)) dp = <p> [/tex] in momentum space.

I could use some help filling in the blanks. I was thinking integration by parts, which I tried on my paper sheet, but it didn't quite work out. I once was told that if you're stuck on an integral problem, try integration by parts or substitution of variables, but I couldn't make either one work.

Your mistake is that when you write the spatial wavefunctions in terms of their momentum space expressions you use the same variable "p" in each case. You can't do that. Use two different variables for each Fourier transform (say p and p'). Then it will work out. (indeed you will have to do an integration by parts and then carry out the integral over x and then the integral over one of your momentum variables).

Thanks =) after you told me this, I tried it and it worked.

But why are they two different variables? If you tell me this, it will be completely solved.

What is a quantum integral problem?

A quantum integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves the integration of quantum mechanical equations. It is used to calculate the probability of certain events occurring in quantum systems.

What is the significance of quantum integral problems?

Quantum integral problems are significant because they allow us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of quantum systems. This is important for understanding the behavior of particles and atoms at a fundamental level, and for developing new technologies based on quantum mechanics.

What are some common techniques used to solve quantum integral problems?

Some common techniques used to solve quantum integral problems include perturbation theory, variational methods, and Monte Carlo simulations. These methods involve approximating the integral or finding numerical solutions to the equations.

How do quantum integral problems differ from classical integral problems?

Quantum integral problems differ from classical integral problems because they involve the integration of wave functions instead of classical variables. This means that the results can be probabilistic rather than deterministic, and that the solutions may be described in terms of quantum states rather than specific values.

What are some real-world applications of quantum integral problems?

Quantum integral problems have applications in a wide range of fields, including quantum chemistry, materials science, and quantum information processing. They are used to model and predict the behavior of quantum systems, and to develop new technologies such as quantum computers and quantum sensors.