Quantum Interpretations history

In summary, the conversation discusses different interpretations of quantum mechanics and the possibility of unifying it with gravity. The speaker believes that the future developments in physics will change the preferred interpretation and that the current state of quantum mechanics is not worth worrying about. They also mention the role of philosophy in science and the importance of considering subjective and objective views. The conversation ends with a discussion about the implications of the MWI and CI interpretations.

Your favourite Quantum Interpretation?

• Many worlds interpretation

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Copenhagen interpretation

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Hidden variables

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Transactional interpretation

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Another one

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Haven't made up my mind / I don't think quantum formalism is correct/final

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Hans de Vries said:
The Liènard Wiechert potentials can be derived from the assumption that they (the
four components V, Ax, Ay, Az) obey the classical wave equation (Poisson's equation)
and that the charge is the source for V and current is the source for A.

You'll find the term "Transverse mass" only in very old text. In both non-relativistic
and relativistic mechanics the force is proportional the change of momentum. In
non-relativistic physics this happens to be proportional to the acceleration.

If you apply a force on an ultra-relativistic particle in the direction of the speed,
to push it closer to c, then you'll increase its momentum but you'll hardly increase
its speed. you'll only achieve a very small acceleration.

If you apply the same force transversal to the direction of motion then you change
the momentum proportional to the force by the same amount. However, the change
in speed will be much bigger, the acceleration will be much larger.

The acceleration is asymmetrical but it is not true that, as suggested, that the
transversal acceleration will tend to infinity. It doesn't get easier to accelerate
a faster moving object transversely to its motion.

A wave function has a constant charge density and current density at each point
of the wave-function. The current density can be associated with moving charge
which can be associated with motion.

Regards, Hans

Poisson's wave equation is based on spherical waves. This does not apply to electrons moving at high velocity.

Your assertion that "transverse mass" is found only in very old text is quite incorrect. It is currently used in particle physics, for instance in analyzing the characteristics of quarks. I suggest that you do some Googling on this subject. The transverse mass relates directly to the Lorentz equations and was derived therefrom. The Lorentz equations show that the transverse mass decreases with velocity, and therefore the acceleration in the transverse direction is much faster. When an electron is moving through space, a transverse force acts on it, as is shown by the Lorentz force equation. This is simply basic electromagnetic analysis that is quite commonly used.

Your quote: "A wave function has a constant charge density and current density at each point of the wave-function." completely baffles me. An electromagnetic wave has no charge densite or current density. It consists of an E-field and and H-field, both of which are smoothly distributed through space.

Perhaps we have a little communications problem regarding languages?

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume "drv" stands for dr. (Weldon) Vlasak?

http://www.science-site.net/
http://www.science-site.net/books.htm

anyway:

drv said:
Poisson's wave equation is based on spherical waves. This does not apply to electrons moving at high velocity.

Check for instance Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, section 1.7
equation (1.28) for Poisson's equation of the electrostatic potential
and section 5.4 equation (5.31) for Poisson's equation of the
magnetic vector potential.

These equations are fully compatible with special relativity.

drv said:
Your assertion that "transverse mass" is found only in very old text is quite incorrect. It is currently used in particle physics, for instance in analyzing the characteristics of quarks. I suggest that you do some Googling on this subject. The transverse mass relates directly to the Lorentz equations and was derived therefrom. The Lorentz equations show that the transverse mass decreases with velocity, and therefore the acceleration in the transverse direction is much faster. When an electron is moving through space, a transverse force acts on it, as is shown by the Lorentz force equation. This is simply basic electromagnetic analysis that is quite commonly used.

You can find the relation between force and acceleration longitudinal and
transversal to the motion of a relativistic particle here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_i...evelopments:_transverse_and_longitudinal_mass

You see that this "effective transversal mass" does not tend to zero but increases
with gamma.

drv said:
Your quote: "A wave function has a constant charge density and current density at each point of the wave-function." completely baffles me. An electromagnetic wave has no charge densite or current density. It consists of an E-field and and H-field, both of which are smoothly distributed through space.

Perhaps we have a little communications problem regarding languages?

A charged wave-function belongs to a charged particle...

Regards, Hans