Quantum Kinetic Theory by M. Bonitz: Traces over Commutators

In summary, the conversation discusses the book Quantum Kinetic Theory by M. Bonitz and the difficulty in understanding some concepts, particularly regarding the trace over a commutator. The question is raised about when the trace is not zero, and the response mentions that this can occur with non-commutative operators. It is also noted that the book may provide a more mathematically rigorous treatment of the subject compared to what physicists are used to.
Jezuz
Hi!
Has anyone studied the book Quantum Kinetic Theory by M. Bonitz?
I am reading it on my own and have a hard time understanding some of the things that are done in the book. Specifically, in the second chapter, he keeps terms which are traces over a commutator. Isn't the trace over a commutator always zero due to cyclic invariance of the trace? Perhaps this only holds for some operators. In that case, can someone give me an example for when it does not hold.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never encountered that book, it looks interesting. Most of my non-equilibrium stat mech books concentrate on classical phenomena.

As for your question, I agree that the trace of a commutator of two matrices with complex number entries is always zero. But if the perators are matrices whose entries are not c-numbers but are themselves non-commutative operators, we can have situations where operators fail to commute with themselves, and it seems we can also have situations where the trace of such a commutator is not zero.

From a mathematical point of view, the cyclic invariance of the trace only holds if all the operators are bounded, which most physically relevant operators are not (position operator, Hamiltonian operator for the harmonic oscillator...).

I don't know the book, but chances are it's a (mathematically) more rigorous treatment of the subject than what physicists are used to.

1. What is Quantum Kinetic Theory?

Quantum Kinetic Theory is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, particularly in relation to their dynamics and statistical properties. It combines principles from quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and kinetic theory to describe the behavior of particles at the microscopic level.

2. What is the significance of "Traces over Commutators" in Quantum Kinetic Theory?

In Quantum Kinetic Theory, "Traces over Commutators" refers to a mathematical technique used to calculate the time evolution of a system. It involves taking the trace (sum of diagonal elements) of a commutator, which is a mathematical operation that measures the difference between two operators. This allows for the calculation of important quantities such as the energy and the entropy of a system.

3. How does Quantum Kinetic Theory differ from Classical Kinetic Theory?

Quantum Kinetic Theory takes into account the quantum nature of particles, whereas Classical Kinetic Theory only considers macroscopic systems. This means that Quantum Kinetic Theory can describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, while Classical Kinetic Theory is limited to larger scale systems. Additionally, Quantum Kinetic Theory incorporates principles from quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle, which are not included in Classical Kinetic Theory.

4. What are some applications of Quantum Kinetic Theory?

Quantum Kinetic Theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including condensed matter physics, plasma physics, and quantum optics. It is used to study the behavior of particles in materials, such as semiconductors and superconductors, and in high-energy environments, such as fusion reactors. It also has applications in quantum computing and quantum information theory.

5. What are some current research topics in Quantum Kinetic Theory?

Some current research topics in Quantum Kinetic Theory include the study of quantum transport phenomena, such as the flow of electrons and heat in materials, and the development of numerical methods for simulating quantum systems. Other areas of research include the study of quantum phase transitions, quantum chaos, and the application of quantum kinetic theory to biological systems.