Quantum Leap: Electrons and Instant Movement

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of electrons in atoms and how they move from one orbital to another. The Bohr model of the atom is flawed, but the same concept applies to the 3D model. People have modeled the interactions of electrons in atoms with electric fields and there is overlap in the wave functions. The movement of electrons is still not fully understood and is a topic of active research and discussion. The conversation also mentions the evolving understanding of the shape of atoms and the concept of probability wave functions.
psuedoben
Electrons can only exist at certain levels of orbit around the nucleus of an atom, meaning that when they leap, they skip the space in between the two orbitals all together. so if they do this instantly, there is no time between the electron being on one level of orbit to the other. I have seen somewhere that mathematically the number .9999... repeating is equivalent to the number 1 because you can't find a number between the two, then is it true that the electron is in two places at once during the leap because you cannot find a time when it is between the two orbitals? (I am aware that electrons are in fact able to exist in multiple places at once)

Physics news on Phys.org
psuedoben said:
Electrons can only exist at certain levels of orbit around the nucleus of an atom, meaning that when they leap, they skip the space in between the two orbitals all together. so if they do this instantly, there is no time between the electron being on one level of orbit to the other. I have seen somewhere that mathematically the number .9999... repeating is equivalent to the number 1 because you can't find a number between the two, then is it true that the electron is in two places at once during the leap because you cannot find a time when it is between the two orbitals? (I am aware that electrons are in fact able to exist in multiple places at once)

The "orbits" are from the Bohr model of the Hydrogen atom. From solutions to the Schrodinger Equation, the wave functions for the electron are actually distributed in three dimensions.

Likes psuedoben
i understand that the bohr model is flawed, but doesn't the same reasoning apply to the 3D model? the electrons move from one of the wave orbitals to another without passing through the space between? its more than likely that I'm wrong, so please point out the flaws in my logic!

psuedoben said:
i understand that the bohr model is flawed, but doesn't the same reasoning apply to the 3D model? the electrons move from one of the wave orbitals to another without passing through the space between? its more than likely that I'm wrong, so please point out the flaws in my logic!

There is actually spatial overlap in the wave functions. I.e. Look at a picture for the wavefunction of a 1s electron in Hydrogen. It will occupy some of the same space that would be occupied by a 2p electron.

People have modeled the interactions of electrons in atoms with electric fields in real time. There are some very interesting movies of atoms interacting with attosecond laser pulses to model how frequency up-conversion works. You can do the same kind of simulation with simpler electronic transitions.

ok cool, i studied general chemistry the previous quarter (I'm a freshman in college) so I'm familiar with these types of orbitals, my question is though, when the electrons are energized or emit energy and therefore move to the appropriate electron field, do they "jump" there? or do they move from one to another by following a path?

Quantum Defect said:
There is actually spatial overlap in the wave functions. I.e. Look at a picture for the wavefunction of a 1s electron in Hydrogen. It will occupy some of the same space that would be occupied by a 2p electron.

See these diagrams, for example:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hydwf.html

psuedoben said:
do they "jump" there? or do they move from one to another by following a path?

We . don't . know . (gasp! :nb))

The mathematical formalism of QM is silent about what the electron "really really does," "inside" or "underneath" the probability distribution, between observations. That is the province of interpretations of QM. There are a number of interpretations that are consistent with the mathematics and with experimental observations. There is no general agreement about which one is best. It's a field of active research, speculation, and endless discussion in this forum. o0)

Last edited:
psuedoben said:
ok cool, i studied general chemistry the previous quarter (I'm a freshman in college) so I'm familiar with these types of orbitals, my question is though, when the electrons are energized or emit energy and therefore move to the appropriate electron field, do they "jump" there? or do they move from one to another by following a path?

It is a bit more complicated than that. I think a better picture is that the wave function "morphs" as the atom changes state.

Here is a video for a simulation of a large porphyrin molecule being excited -- lots of "sloshing" of the electronic wave function!

Quantum Defect said:
It is a bit more complicated than that. I think a better picture is that the wave function "morphs" as the atom changes state.

Here is a video for a simulation of a large porphyrin molecule being excited -- lots of "sloshing" of the electronic wave function!

Ok, that actually makes a lot more sense. That's a very cool visual! It's funny to think of a student's evolution of their understanding of the shape of an atom/position of the electron. First, we learn they're like circles orbiting the nucleus, then they're more oval like and 3D, then we learn that they're probability wave functions.

jtbell said:
We . don't . know . (gasp! :nb))

The mathematical formalism of QM is silent about what the electron "really really does," "inside" or "underneath" the probability distribution, between observations. That is the province of interpretations of QM. There are a number of interpretations that are consistent with the mathematics and with experimental observations. There is no general agreement about which one is best. It's a field of active research, speculation, and endless discussion in this forum. o0)
that makes sense and that's kind of what i figured the answer to my question would be! i think i am limited in that i am attempting to use what i see occur in the world around me to decipher what would happen on the quantum level, but reality is so much different there it doesn't necessarily translate.

1. What is quantum leap and how does it relate to electrons?

Quantum leap refers to the sudden and discontinuous movement of electrons between energy levels in an atom. This phenomenon is a result of the quantum nature of electrons, meaning they can exist in multiple energy states simultaneously.

2. Can electrons really move instantly?

No, electrons do not actually move instantly. The term "instant" refers to the incredibly short amount of time it takes for an electron to transition between energy levels. This is due to the fact that electrons are incredibly small and have very little mass, allowing them to move at extremely high speeds.

3. How does quantum leap impact the behavior of electrons?

Quantum leap has a significant impact on the behavior of electrons. It explains why electrons can only exist in certain energy levels and why they cannot exist in between these levels. It also plays a crucial role in explaining the properties of atoms and how they interact with each other.

4. Are there any real-world applications of quantum leap?

Yes, quantum leap has numerous real-world applications in fields such as electronics, optics, and computing. For example, transistors, which are essential components in modern electronics, rely on quantum leap to function.

5. Can quantum leap be observed directly?

No, quantum leap cannot be observed directly as it occurs on a subatomic level. However, its effects can be observed through various experiments and technologies, such as spectroscopy and scanning tunneling microscopy.