1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum/math question

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    Quantum/math question :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to expand the commutator of the 3 operators A,B,C: [A,BC] in terms of [A,B], [A,C], [B,C].

2. Relevant equations
    [A,B] is defined to be AB - BA
    also, [A,BC] = B[A,C] +[A,B]C.
    There are some other identities but none that I see relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried lots of opening and additing/substructing of elements using the above formulas but I could never get rid of "operators". Is the a way to write "B" and "C" in terms of the above?
    I'm working on this for over an hour! :(

Thank you very much!
    Tomer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    Are you sure you're supposed to get rid of the operators? I don't think it's possible to express it otherwise. That would require reducing a sum of 3 operators to a sum of 2 operators.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    Thanks for responding.

The question is:
    Let A;B;C; be operators
    1. Expand [A;BC] in terms of [A;B]; [A;C]; [B;C]

If you can understand anything different from the exact question you're most welcomed to explain to me :)
    What do you mean by "That wuold require reducing a sum of 3 operators to a sum of 2"?
    Why is that a consequence?

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    well an expansion of [A,BC] is ABC-BCA which is a sum of 3 operators in a row. I don't see how you could express that in the form aAB + bBA +cAC +dCA + eBC + fCB (where a...f are constants) which is the form it would need to take if you wanted it expressed solely in terms of [A,B], [A,C] and [B,C]

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5
    I still don't understand the "paradox" here, nor do I see how the sum you wrote (with the consts a...f) is a sun of two operators... what I see is 6 operators.

Ah well.... I thank you for trying anyway!

7. Jun 16, 2008 #6
    Your answer will involve a sum of the products of the original operators with the two-operator commutators, as in:

X*[Y,Z] or [X,Y]*Z

Where X, Y, and Z are each one of A, B, and C. (I wrote it this way to avoid giving the answer away :)

8. Jun 16, 2008 #7
    But I need an expression consisting only of [A,B], [A,C] and [B,C]
    I already know that [A,BC] = B[A,C] + [A,B]C....

9. Jun 16, 2008 #8
    But clearly that's not possible. For example, let

[tex]A=p_{x}, B=x, C=y [/tex]

Then

[tex] [A,BC] = [p_{x},x]*y = -i \hbar *y [/tex]

and

[tex] [A,B] = -i\hbar, [A,C] = [B,C] = 0 [/tex]

There just isn't any way to do it. I think they mean to write it as an expression where the commutators involve only two of A, B, and C, like the one you gave above.

10. Jun 16, 2008 #9
    *sigh*... I'm really gonna hate them if you're right... :)
    I'll send a mail to my tutor, all the student are too confused with this subject I guess none have noticed yet.

Thank you very much!
    I'll post here if it turns out otherwise...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?