1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics algebra

1. Dec 30, 2009 #1
    Quantum Mechanics algebra - time independant peturbation theory

Hi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential shown is operating on the eigenstate as shown in the pic. I am having trouble getting the second term using orthogonality (got the first term :-) ). Please Help!

2. Relevant equations
    see pic

3. The attempt at a solution
    put the i's equal to j (i.e. orthogonality) but don't know what to do next.

Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2
    Just note that, in the sum, the only nonzero term in the second part will be the one where
    i + 1 = j, so i will be equal to...

4. Dec 30, 2009 #3
    This was part of a hint for a question on time independant pertubation theory (see pic). i was reluctant to post the whole question because i wanted a good crack at it without help but i am now stuck. i can't seem to get the 2nd order term and can't work out what happens with the first order term.

Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. Dec 30, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

Well, you're given a formula for the energy [itex]E_0[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat{V}[/itex], and you're given a formula for [itex]\hat{V}[/itex]. What happens when you plug [itex]\hat{V}[/itex] in to the energy formula? If you get stuck, show your work.

6. Dec 31, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the replies. This is my working so far (see attachment). I have plugged V in but am stuck on the last 2 lines of my working. Using orthogonality i think you get lambda and lambda* for the 1st terms of the second-last and last-lines respectively but what about the second terms in those lines?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Dec 31, 2009 #6
    Ah, do they equal zero (the last terms) because i is from 0 to infinity and those two terms require i=-1?

8. Dec 31, 2009 #7

diazona

Homework Helper

Yeah, you can use that argument for the second term on each of the last two lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook