Trouble with Orthogonality in Quantum Mechanics Algebra?

In summary, the conversation was about time-independent perturbation theory and using orthogonality to solve for the second term in the energy formula. The conversation included a hint for the question and the person's working so far. The conversation ended with the conclusion that the last terms in the working equaled zero due to the value of i being from 0 to infinity.
sxc656
Quantum Mechanics algebra - time independant peturbation theory

Hi

Homework Statement

The potential shown is operating on the eigenstate as shown in the pic. I am having trouble getting the second term using orthogonality (got the first term :-) ). Please Help!

Homework Equations

see pic

The Attempt at a Solution

put the i's equal to j (i.e. orthogonality) but don't know what to do next.

Thanks

Attachments

• algebra.JPG
    algebra.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just note that, in the sum, the only nonzero term in the second part will be the one where
i + 1 = j, so i will be equal to...

JSuarez said:
Just note that, in the sum, the only nonzero term in the second part will be the one where
i + 1 = j, so i will be equal to...

This was part of a hint for a question on time independant pertubation theory (see pic). i was reluctant to post the whole question because i wanted a good crack at it without help but i am now stuck. i can't seem to get the 2nd order term and can't work out what happens with the first order term.

Thank you

Attachments

• algebra2.JPG
    algebra2.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
Well, you're given a formula for the energy [itex]E_0[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat{V}[/itex], and you're given a formula for [itex]\hat{V}[/itex]. What happens when you plug [itex]\hat{V}[/itex] into the energy formula? If you get stuck, show your work.

Thanks for the replies. This is my working so far (see attachment). I have plugged V in but am stuck on the last 2 lines of my working. Using orthogonality i think you get lambda and lambda* for the 1st terms of the second-last and last-lines respectively but what about the second terms in those lines?
Thanks

Attachments

• algebra3.JPG
    algebra3.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 408
sxc656 said:
Thanks for the replies. This is my working so far (see attachment). I have plugged V in but am stuck on the last 2 lines of my working. Using orthogonality i think you get lambda and lambda* for the 1st terms of the second-last and last-lines respectively but what about the second terms in those lines?
Thanks

Ah, do they equal zero (the last terms) because i is from 0 to infinity and those two terms require i=-1?

Yeah, you can use that argument for the second term on each of the last two lines.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics algebra?

Quantum Mechanics algebra is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It combines principles from linear algebra, calculus, and probability theory to understand the properties and interactions of particles on a subatomic scale.

2. How is Quantum Mechanics algebra different from classical mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics algebra differs from classical mechanics in that it allows for the existence of particles with both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously, and their behavior is described by probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

3. What are the main components of Quantum Mechanics algebra?

The main components of Quantum Mechanics algebra are operators, wave functions, and observables. Operators represent physical quantities such as position, momentum, and energy, while wave functions describe the probability of a particle's state. Observables are measurable properties of particles, such as position or energy, that can be determined through mathematical operations on the wave function.

4. How is Quantum Mechanics algebra used in modern technology?

Quantum Mechanics algebra is used in a variety of modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines. It is also essential for understanding and developing quantum computing and quantum communication technologies, which have the potential for faster and more secure information processing.

5. Can Quantum Mechanics algebra be applied to larger, macroscopic systems?

While Quantum Mechanics algebra was originally developed to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level, it has also been successfully applied to larger, macroscopic systems. This is known as quantum mechanics in the macroscopic regime and has been used to explain phenomena such as superconductivity and superfluidity.