Quantum Mechanics and our Brains

In summary, there is no clear consensus on whether or not quantum mechanics affects our brains and decisions. Some theories suggest that quantum fluctuations play a role, while others argue for a deterministic universe. Further research and understanding of consciousness and quantum mechanics is needed to fully answer this question. Additionally, there are ongoing debates about the role of quantum mechanics in our understanding of the universe and the possibility of deterministic theories that are in line with quantum mechanics. Ultimately, there is a lot that is still unknown and open to interpretation in this area.
Chen
Has anyone ever conducted a study that checked the influence of quantum mechanics on our brains? I am asking because sometimes this is used as a leeway out of the deterministic universe problem - if everything follows physical laws, then the inital setup of the big bang has determined how the universe would look like ad infinitum. So then someone mentions quantum mechanics - it makes anything but sense and works on probabilities rather than predetermined outcomes.

So my question is really twofold: Firstly, do quantum fluctuations affect our brain? Do they decide whether I will choose an apple over an orange? Personally I find this a bit hard to digest, because everything that occurs in our brains is ultimately random how can we be thinking clear thoughts, unless we are not affected by these quantum effects? Secondly, do we know if the behaviour of particles once they are measured is random as a whole, but predetermined for each particle, or just completely random? Let's ake the double-slit experiment for example, and send one photon at a time. We send a photo and see that it hits a certain spot, if we were to go bac in time (which we can't) and send the same photon again, would it hit the same spot (i.e its behaviour is predetermined) or would it hit a completely different spot (random behaviour)?

Perhaps the answer to the second question is that the particles' behaviour is predetermined, it's just that we can't predict it (as opposed to classical physics which enable us to predict the outcome given complete details of the inital setup). If that's the case, then the answer to the first question doesn't matter - the universe is deterministic, and everything we do results from a single moment in time in which the universe came to be.

Thank you for reading and I'm sorry if this sounds like a layman's ramblings - it is. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chen said:
So my question is really twofold: Firstly, do quantum fluctuations affect our brain? Do they decide whether I will choose an apple over an orange?

I think the answer to your question is yes. Try to read one of these text (the one where Q plays with Pickard at the begining) about quantum game theory which I've give link to in some thread.

I did read some pages which offered a (simplistic) explanation of quantum games and they also gave the example of Q and Pickard... but I don't see how it all relates to that question I asked above? :smile:

Thanks!

Ok, let's imagine some fruits: an apple and an orange. If you were told before that the apple is poisoned you would take an orange (normal GT). However, due to QGT, if you wasn't told that before you would have different 'tactic' (it's like when 'scores' aren't sumarized) - you would take:
1. the apple
2. the orange
3. both
4. none
And this is it. We live in the world perfectly described by QGT...

You might be interested in this:

http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0402103

although it is a little difficult to take it seriously.

On the other hand, this:

http://xxx.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9602006

is a good discussion of the possible role of conciousness in quantum theory.

Perhaps the answer to the second question is that the particles' behaviour is predetermined, it's just that we can't predict it (as opposed to classical physics which enable us to predict the outcome given complete details of the inital setup). If that's the case, then the answer to the first question doesn't matter - the universe is deterministic, and everything we do results from a single moment in time in which the universe came to be.

In a hidden variable theory of quantum mechanics, everything is deterministic. However, such theories must necessarily be non-local (from Bell's theorem) and contextual (from the Kochen Spekker theorem). If you can stomach such a theory then it is possible to construct a deterministic theory that is in full agreement with quantum mechanics, e.g. Bohmian mechanics. Most such theories run into difficulties when trying to make a relativistic version of the theory, but it is not clear whether the difficulties are insurmountable.

Most physicists prefer to reject realism and then the Bell and Kochen Spekker theorems are not such a big problem. They also have a less problematic relativistic version of the theory, namely standard quantum field theory.

The short answer is that we don't know enough about how consciousness works to say if quantum mechanics plays a role. We also have not resolved all of the foundational difficulties of quantum mechanics, so anything that can be said on the matter is in the realms of speculation (though it might be very interesting speculation from a philosophical point of view). In my opinion, this is likely to be the case for a very long time.

1. What is quantum mechanics and how does it relate to our brains?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is a set of principles that explain the fundamental nature of matter and energy. In relation to our brains, quantum mechanics suggests that the brain may operate at a quantum level, meaning that it is influenced by the unpredictable behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How does quantum mechanics affect our understanding of consciousness?

Quantum mechanics challenges the traditional view of consciousness as being solely a product of the complex interactions of neurons in the brain. It suggests that consciousness may be influenced by quantum phenomena, such as entanglement and superposition, which could explain certain mysterious aspects of consciousness, such as intuition and creativity.

3. Can quantum mechanics explain the concept of free will?

There is currently no consensus among scientists about whether free will exists or not. Some researchers believe that the unpredictable nature of quantum mechanics could provide a basis for free will, as it allows for the possibility of multiple outcomes for any given decision. However, this is still a highly debated topic and more research is needed to fully understand the relationship between quantum mechanics and free will.

4. Is there any evidence to support the idea that our brains operate at a quantum level?

While there have been some studies that suggest the brain may operate at a quantum level, the evidence is still inconclusive. The brain is a complex and dynamic system, and it is difficult to isolate and study its quantum behavior. More research is needed to fully understand the role of quantum mechanics in brain function.

5. How does quantum mechanics impact our understanding of the mind-body problem?

The mind-body problem is the philosophical question of how the mind and body are related. Quantum mechanics adds a new layer of complexity to this problem, as it suggests that the brain and consciousness may be influenced by quantum effects. This challenges traditional views of the mind and body being separate entities and raises new questions about the nature of consciousness and its relationship to the physical world.