1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics - angular momentum problem

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me with this please? If anyone does give me any kind of *small* hints, I'd be very grateful.

Show that the eigenfunctions of the L_{z} operator with different eigenvalues are orthogonal. I don't have a clue how to start this, I'm not even sure what an eigenfunction is. I know how to do eigenvalues with matrices, but not QM. My notes have this:

Φ(φ) = e^(im_{l}φ)

L_{z}Φ = -ihbar dΦ/dφ = m_{l}hΦ(φ)

I don't understand.

An atomic electron is in a state where measurement of L_{z} may yield the values -3hbar and 3hbar with equal probabilities. Write down a normalised wavefunction describing this state. Again I'm stuck, do I need to use Φ(φ) = e^(im_{l}φ) in some way?

The recommended book for our course (Eisberg & Resnick) is confusing me more. Grr at stupid quantum mechanics :mad:.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That second equation is the eigenvalue equation for angular momentum operator; the first equation describes the eigenfunctions, which are the solutions of the eigenvalue equation. You'll need to do some reading.

Hint: Two functions (F & G, say) are orthogonal if the integral of F*G over the range of the functions is zero. For this problem, let [itex]F = e^{i m_1 \phi}[/itex] and [itex]G = e^{i m_2 \phi}[/itex]. (These are eigenfunctions for the eigenvalues [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex].) Now show that the integral of F*G is zero unless [itex]m_1 = m_2[/itex].

The wavefunction can be expressed as a sum of eigenfunctions with appropriate coefficients ([itex]C_m[/itex]). Hint: The wavefunction in this case is the sum of only two component eigenfunctions: one corresponds to m = 3, the other to m = -3. What are those eigenfunctions? What must the coefficients of these be if the probability of measuring either eigenvalue is equal? Hit those books!
  4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    For the orthogonality thing, I picked m_{l} = 1 and m_{l} = 2 and then just did that integral like you said. I had to integrate between 0 and 2pi (cos of the angle) and it came out alright.

The rest of the question I just gave up on. Thanks :smile:.

The book for QM really makes no sense to me.. I can just about understand stuff on potential steps/barriers and doing the reflection/transmission coefficient stuff. Apart from that, I just get really lost. If I didn't have to do QM this year, I really wouldn't.
  5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You considered a particular case.It's not enough...You need to prove for arbitrary integers "m" & "n".

As for the second,i'm sure you can solve it,it's just that u need to open the book at the right page...

What's normalization...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?