Can I Walk Through a Wall with Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, quantum mechanics plays a large role in determining probabilities and there is a small chance, according to quantum tunneling, that a human could theoretically walk through a wall. However, this is highly unlikely and would depend on various factors such as mass differences. Banging your head on the wall would not significantly increase the chances of this happening.
Waveparticle
From what i understand quantum mechanics has large part to do with probabilities. So is it valid to say that if i walked head on into the wall in my room for an infinite period of time that eventually i could be able to walk straight through it? Also is there a way to calculate a simpler version of the above problem that would say take only 20 years to happen but is normally very unlikely to happen without repeated trying?(hope this makes sense)

Physics news on Phys.org
Proooobably not, I'm guessing...

It is unlikely because it depends on the mass differences, although it could be considered possible. You can't physically walk through a wall, unless the wall itself broke. Could you explain the question a bit?

lj19 said:
It is unlikely because it depends on the mass differences, although it could be considered possible. You can't physically walk through a wall, unless the wall itself broke. Could you explain the question a bit?

I remember hearing someone say that due to the probability factors of quantum mechanics that if you walked into a wall for an infinite number of times that one of those times both the molecules in the wall and in your body would be arranged in a way that you would theoretically be able to pass through the wall.

This sounds like a pop-science explanation of quantum tunneling.

Classically, a charged particle will not be able to 'walk through a wall' (penetrate a barrier of electrical charge) if its kinetic energy is less than the potential energy of the barrier.

In quantum mechanics, there's a small probability that it can, based on the energies involved and the width of the barrier.

Scaling that up to a human size, we're dealing with on the order 10^28 charged particles. And I suppose you can see a brick wall as a barrier of charge.

So you could probably accomplish the tunneling in an infinite amount of time.

There's got to be a better way to explain tunneling though.

That wiki answer isn't very accurate, the main reason your head doesn't go through the wall is due to the Pauli exclusion principle rather than electromagnetic repulsion (or even nuclear force repulsion).

And banging your head on the wall will likely have little effect on the quantum tunnelling probabilities compared to say, just walking towards the wall, in fact it might reduce the tunnelling probabilities by heating the wall up or compressing the surface molecules closer together.

According to QM you always have a probability of being anywhere in the entire universe, never mind the other side of a wall, but due to decoherence these probabilities are so microscopically tiny as to be ignorable (scientifically)

Likes Kinker

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It is based on the principles of quantum theory, which describes the behavior of these particles in terms of probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

2. What are the basic principles of quantum mechanics?

The basic principles of quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and superposition. The wave-particle duality states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states at once.

3. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of larger objects in terms of definite positions and movements. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, describes the behavior of particles on a much smaller scale and is based on probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of atoms?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of atoms by describing them as a combination of energy levels and subatomic particles. The energy levels determine the possible states that an electron can occupy around the nucleus, and the subatomic particles, such as protons and neutrons, make up the nucleus itself.

5. What are some practical applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as MRI machines and GPS systems. In addition, quantum mechanics is being studied for potential applications in quantum computing and quantum cryptography.