1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Basis

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can I find the matrix representation of ##\mathbb{S}_+## and ##\mathbb{S}_-## in the ##|\pm y\rangle## or ##|\pm x\rangle## basis?

2. Relevant equations

##
    \mathbb{\hat{S}}_+|s,m\rangle = \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m+1)}\hbar|s,m+1\rangle
    ##

3. The attempt at a solution

The book almost always ask to find something in the ##z-##basis but rarely asks to find something in ##x## or ##y## basis. I know how this matrix representation will look with the ##z-##basis, so I am wondering how the matrix representation will look in the ##x## or ##y## basis instead of ##z##?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You find the projections along the unit vectors like normal.
    If you already have the projection along the z axis, then what will the projections along the x and y axes look like?

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    Can you elaborate please? Will it just then be a reflection about the axis?

5. Mar 4, 2015 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well the way I'm reading it, he's asking for a component.
    "the z basis" does not really mean anything.

You can find, for eg, the z component of angular momentum right?
    You know how the x and y components are given the z component.
    If you don't, look it up.

6. Mar 4, 2015 #5
    So I will just use ##|+x\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|+z\rangle +|-z\rangle)## as my basis and solve it the way I solved for the ##z## basis?

7. Mar 4, 2015 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, again, there is no such thing as a z basis that I know of.
    I think you need to revisit the definitions - what is it that S+ and S- do?

8. Mar 4, 2015 #7

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

It's a common expression when talking about spin. The z basis for a spin-1/2 particle is the set ##\left\{ |+z\rangle, |-z\rangle\right\}##, with "spin up" corresponding to a spin along +z, and "spin down" to a spin along -z.

You can express an operator ##\hat{O}## in, e.g., the x basis, as a matrix using
    $$
    \mathbf{O}_x = \begin{pmatrix} \langle +x | \hat{O} | +x \rangle & \langle +x | \hat{O} | -x \rangle \\
    \langle -x | \hat{O} | +x \rangle & \langle -x | \hat{O} | -x \rangle \end{pmatrix}
    $$
    For that, you need of course to find how to apply the operator in the x basis, i.e., ##\hat{O} | +x \rangle##. This you can find by expressing ## | +x \rangle## in terms of ##| +z \rangle## and ##| -z \rangle##.

Alternatively, you can calculate the rotation matrix ##\mathbf{R}## that brings you from the z basis to the x basis, and find the operator matrix using
    $$
    \mathbf{O}_x = \mathbf{R} \mathbf{O}_z \mathbf{R}^T
    $$

9. Mar 4, 2015 #8
    Very helpful! Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted