1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics bound states

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many bound states are there quantum mechanically ?

We are told to approach the problem semi classically.
    Consider the Hamiltonian function
    H : R 2n → R
    (whose values are energies), and for E0 < E1 the set
    {(p, x) ∈ R 2n |H(p, x) ∈ [E0 , E1 ]} ⊆ R 2n
    which we assume to have the 2n-dimensional volume V (2n) . It is a fact that when-
    ever V (2n) is finite, then there are only finitely many (distinguishable) quantum
    mechanical states. More precisely, one has
    V (2n) hn ≈ ♯{states of energy E ∈ [E0 , E1 ]},
    where h = 2π. Moreover, strict equality holds provided the l.h.s. is an integer.

Asked to consider
    asked to consider the Hamiltonian function
    H(p, x) = p1^2 2m1 + p2^2 2m2 + 1 /2 m1 ω 1^2 x1^2 + 1/ 2 m2 ω 2^ 2 x2^2 ,
    and to determine the approximate number of states of energy E
    ≤ Etotal .
    Hint: This is the equation of an el lipsoid in 4-dimensional phase space with
    coordinates (p1 , p2 , x1 , x2 ). The volume of the ellipsoid with radii a, b, c, d is abcd
    times the volume of the 4-dimensional unit sphere

I'm stuck trying to find a starting point for the problem

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2
    If I recall this method correctly, [tex]$ N \approx \int d^np d^n x/(2\pi\hbar)^n$[/tex], where N is the number of states - it is just the amount of "cells" in phase space. The integral should be taken over the whole possible space in it. In your case this space is 4-dimensional (p1, x1, p2, x2) and is bounded by the energy conservation law:
    [tex]$ E = p_1^2/2m_1 + m_1 \omega_1^2 x_1^2 /2 + p_2^2/2m_2 + m_2 \omega_2^2 x_2^2 /2 \le E_{total}$[/tex]
    This is an equation of a 4 dimensional ellipsoid.
    To calculate the n-dimensional surface of a unit sphere do the following:
    consider the integral [tex]$\int \exp(-r^2)d^n r$[/tex] over the whole space. Now write [tex]$ d^n r = \Omega_n r^{n-1} dr$[/tex] where [tex] $\Omega_n$ [/tex] is the surface of a unit n-dimensional sphere. Substituting [tex]$ r = \sqrt{z}$[/tex] you get gamma function
    [tex] $\int \exp(-r^2)d^n r = \Omega_n \Gamma(n/2)/2$ [/tex].
    On the other hand, the integral can be represented as
    [tex] $\int \exp(-r^2)d^n r = \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\exp(-x_1^2)dx_1 \times \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\exp(-x_2^2)dx_2 \times ... \times \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\exp(-x_n^2)dx_n$ [/tex].
    Each of these integrals is Poisson integral and is equal to [tex]$\sqrt{\pi}$[/tex]. Comparing both sides you get at last
    [tex]$\Omega_n = 2 \pi^{n/2}/\Gamma(n/2)$[/tex].
    For instance, when n = 2 ("surface area" of a circle) this gives [tex]$\Omega_2 = 2 \pi/\Gamma(1)=2\pi$[/tex],
    for n = 3 taking into account that [tex]$\Gamma(3/2) = 1/2 \times \Gamma(1/2) = \sqrt{\pi}/2$[/tex] you get (as it should be) [tex]$\Omega_3 = 4\pi$[/tex]
    in your case n = 4 and so [tex] $\Omega_4 = 2\pi^2$ [/tex].

Good luck!

4. Mar 20, 2009 #3

So This means that I have my surface area which is 2*pi(squared) and what I should do is integrate over this within the region of the 4 dimensional ellipsoid???

5. Mar 20, 2009 #4
    Well, if I recall this method correctly :wink: all you have to do is just find the volume of the 4-dimensional ellipsoid given it's radii a,b,c,d (you can extract them from the energy conservation law). As it is said in your first post this volume is equal to a*b*c*d*2*pi^2. Then divide this volume by [tex]$ (2\pi\hbar)^4$[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook