1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics, changing basis

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the column vectors representing the states |+x> and |-x> using the states |+y> and |-y> as a basis.

2. Relevant equations
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The hint my prof gave us was that since |+x> = 1/√2|+z> + 1/√2|-z> we can eliminate the states |+z> and |-z> in favor of |+y> and |-y>

I'm just lost I guess, i'm not sure how to eliminate the z states in favor of y. Any further hint or suggestion would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Think about where |+x> = 1/√2|+z> + 1/√2|-z> came from, and what exactly you mean by |+x>, |-x>, |+y>, |-y>, |+z>, and |-z>.

I assume you're talking about spin 1/2. You never really said.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    yes, spin 1/2 particles.

The book we're using is Townsend, A Modern Approach to QM. The book starts with spin 1/2 particles and examination of the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

When it's talking about finding the constants (e.g. 1/√2) it says one solution is to choose c+ and c- to be real, namely c+=1/√2 and c-=1/√2, the more general solution for c+ and c- may be written
    c+=ei[itex]\delta+[/itex]/√2 and
    c-=ei[itex]\delta+[/itex]/√2

where [itex]\delta+[/itex] and [itex]\delta-[/itex] are real phases that allow for the possibility that c+ and c- are complex.

That said, can i just name |+x> in the y basis similarly to it was in the z basis?
    It seems kinda vague to me.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by "just name |+x> in the y basis similarly to it was in the z basis". There are precise definitions to the basis vectors. Do you know what they are?

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5
    no, apparently i do not.

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What's their relation to the spin operators Sx, Sy, and Sz?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook