1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum mechanics commutators

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

Tryin to do Q1 in http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/QM/AQM2006.ex.newnotation.pdf and im having trouble in b.) i get the commutator equal to
    c * permutation tensor (sigma . p * (xi pk) -xi pk * sigma . p) and i know im missing some cruical step to recombine this, ie i assume the momentum operator and the sigma matrices commute but the position and momentum operators dont? furthermore i can't see how to substitute in for the position operator, do we use the alternative representation for H as i hbar d/dt ?

Hope that made sense ><
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2008 #2
    Ok if i expand the dot product as a sum over j indicies (i thought it would have to be say over l because its an independent sum so shouldnt have anything to do with epsilon but working backwards from the question...) and magically compress that down using [p,x] = - i hbar i can sort of do it...but theres a lot of magical handwaving in that =P can someone provide a logical explaination as to why that works? (if it works) I also assumed i can pull the sigma matrices out front which seems fair enough as they should commute with linear operators, i think...(and hope)

4. Nov 14, 2008 #3
    Hmm also for part e i get that the ith component of the spin operator is equal to the negative ith component of the spin operator? that seems wrong...also to get that i didnt use part d which makes it seem more wrong...help!
  5. Nov 15, 2008 #4
    ok im really stuck guys, pwease help? =D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?