How do you combine commutators in quantum mechanics for problem Q1?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question on the commutator in a quantum mechanics problem. There is confusion about the use of the position and momentum operators, as well as the sigma matrices. One person manages to solve it by using a sum over indices and the [p,x] commutator. However, there are still doubts about whether the solution is correct. Another person also has trouble with part e and requests help.
FunkyDwarf
Hey guys,

Tryin to do Q1 in http://members.iinet.net.au/~housewrk/QM/AQM2006.ex.newnotation.pdf and I am having trouble in b.) i get the commutator equal to
c * permutation tensor (sigma . p * (xi pk) -xi pk * sigma . p) and i know I am missing some cruical step to recombine this, ie i assume the momentum operator and the sigma matrices commute but the position and momentum operators dont? furthermore i can't see how to substitute in for the position operator, do we use the alternative representation for H as i hbar d/dt ?

Hope that made sense ><
Cheers
-G

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok if i expand the dot product as a sum over j indicies (i thought it would have to be say over l because its an independent sum so shouldn't have anything to do with epsilon but working backwards from the question...) and magically compress that down using [p,x] = - i hbar i can sort of do it...but there's a lot of magical handwaving in that =P can someone provide a logical explanation as to why that works? (if it works) I also assumed i can pull the sigma matrices out front which seems fair enough as they should commute with linear operators, i think...(and hope)

CHeers
-G

Hmm also for part e i get that the ith component of the spin operator is equal to the negative ith component of the spin operator? that seems wrong...also to get that i didnt use part d which makes it seem more wrong...help!

ok I am really stuck guys, pwease help? =D

What is a commutator in quantum mechanics?

A commutator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical operation that determines the order in which two operators act on a quantum state. It is defined as the difference between the product of the two operators in a specific order and the product of the same operators in the opposite order.

Why are commutators important in quantum mechanics?

Commutators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics because they represent the fundamental non-commutative nature of quantum systems. They are used to calculate the uncertainty in measurements of quantum observables and to derive the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

How are commutators calculated in quantum mechanics?

The commutator of two operators A and B is calculated using the formula [A, B] = AB - BA. This operation results in a new operator, which can then be used to determine the commutation relation between A and B.

What is the physical significance of commutators in quantum mechanics?

The physical significance of commutators lies in their ability to reveal the fundamental properties of quantum systems, such as non-commutativity, uncertainty, and the existence of quantized energy levels. They also play a crucial role in the formulation of quantum mechanics and its applications in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

Can commutators be used to determine the state of a quantum system?

No, commutators alone cannot determine the state of a quantum system. They are used to calculate the uncertainty in measurements of observables, but the state of a quantum system is determined by the wave function and the Schrödinger equation. Commutators are a mathematical tool used in the analysis of quantum systems, but they do not provide direct information about the state of a system.