1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics: Eigenstate

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate ##\triangle S_x## and ##\triangle S_y## for an eigenstate of ##\hat{S}_z## for a spin##-\frac12## particle. Check to see if the uncertainty relation ##\triangle S_x\triangle S_y\ge \hbar|\langle S_z\rangle|/2## is satisfied.

2. Relevant equations
    ##S_x =\frac12(S_+ +S_-)##
    ##S_y = \frac{1}{2i}(S_+-S_-)##

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure what I have to do in this problem. For the matrix representation I have that:

##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right]##
    ##S_y = \frac{\hbar}{2i}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & -1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right].##

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the definition of uncertainty? I suggest you start from that and see what you can find based on it.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    I was more concerned on the first part of the question.

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes? The uncertainty is ##\Delta S_x##, how is it defined? Later you can go on to the uncertainty relation, which as the name suggests is a relation of uncertainties.

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5
    Ops, I thought you were talking about the uncertainty relation. But regarding ##\triangle S_x## the uncertainty is defined as ##\sqrt{\langle S_x^2\rangle -\langle S_x\rangle^2}##, where ##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}P_1 -\frac{\hbar}{2}P_2##.

So all I do is do matrix multiplication with ##S_z##, i.e.

##(S_x) (S_z)=\frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right]
    \left[\begin{array}{ c c }1 & 0 \\0 & -1\end{array} \right].##

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  7. Feb 16, 2015 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So what do you get when you evaluate the expectation values for an eigenstate of ##S_z##? How do you compute the expectation value of any operator in a given state?

8. Feb 16, 2015 #7
    To compute the expectation value of any operator ##\hat{\mathbb{O}}## for a particle in the state ##|\phi\rangle## is defined as ##\langle \hat{\mathbb{O}}\rangle = \langle \phi|\hat{\mathbb{O}}|\phi\rangle.## But what will the eigenstate for ##S_z## be?

9. Feb 16, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest you take one of the ones required by the problem statement, i.e., any of the eigenstates of ##S_z##.

10. Feb 16, 2015 #9
    That doesn't help me understand.

11. Feb 17, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So let us try it this way: What are the eigenstates of ##S_z##?

Edit: Also, you should perhaps look for a different way of computing your expectation values. I suspect the one you quoted will not be very helpful. How would you compute ##P_1## and ##P_2## and how would you compute ##\left< S_x^2 \right>##?

12. Feb 17, 2015 #11
    Well, in the book it states that ##\hat{\mathbb{J}}_+|\lambda,m\rangle## is an eigenstate of ##\mathbb{J}_z## (where I was told that ##\mathbb{J}_z## and ##\mathbb{S}_z## are interchangeable)##.

So I can't use ##S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}P_1 -\frac{\hbar}{2}P_2##? I do not know any other way of computing the expectation values other than that definition.

13. Feb 17, 2015 #12

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but it requires that you already are familiar with another eigenstate. Are you familiar with how to find the eigenvectors of a matrix?

Not unless you figure out how to comput ##P_1## and ##P_2##. What about the way you quoted in post #7?

14. Feb 17, 2015 #13
    Yes, I am familiar with how to find eigenvectors. In quantum mechanics, I have difficulty in setting up the problem correctly. Computing it, I can do but setting it up I need a lot more practice with.

That I know how to compute, its just that I am having trouble finding ##|\phi\rangle##. Since we have ##S_x##, i.e., ##
    S_x = \frac{\hbar}{2}\left[\begin{array}{ c c }0 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{array} \right].## Thus, I need to compute ##\langle\phi|S_x|\phi\rangle##.

15. Feb 17, 2015 #14

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, how do you represent ##S_z## in matrix form? What are the eigenvectors of that matrix? (The eigenvectors of the matrix represent the eigenstates.)

16. Feb 17, 2015 #15
    In matrix form ##
    (S_z)=\frac{\hbar}{2}
    \left[\begin{array}{ c c }1 & 0 \\0 & -1\end{array} \right].##

17. Feb 17, 2015 #16

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

... and so the eigenvectors are ...

18. Feb 17, 2015 #17
    Will the eigenvectors just be ##|+z\rangle = {1\choose 0}## and ##|-z\rangle ={0 \choose 1}?##

19. Feb 17, 2015 #18

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You tell me. Is ##S_z |+z\rangle = \lambda_+ |+z\rangle## for some constant ##\lambda_+##?

20. Feb 17, 2015 #19
    Yup, it does satisfy that. I made this more difficult than it is. -__-. Thank you very much!

21. Feb 17, 2015 #20

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to resolve the problem itself: What do you get for ##\langle S_x\rangle## and ##\langle S_x^2 \rangle##, respectively? What is the resulting uncertainty relation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted