Quantum Mechanics Entangled States

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entangled states and their definition. The speaker provides an explanation of what an entangled state is and clarifies that a measurement carried out on a non-entangled state will not affect the other. The conversation also includes a question about whether certain states are entangled or not.
AlBell

Homework Statement

I've been asked to find out if
nyh6aq.png
are entangled states or not

Homework Equations

I thought an entangled state was one where a measurement of one qubit revealed the nature of the other qubit in the state

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am correct in my definition of an entangled state then a) and b) are entangled as measuring a 1 or a zero in a) reveals the state of the 2nd qubit, and there is only one type of qubit in b). c isn't entangled as measurement of q1 does not reveal the nature of q2?
Could someone please tell me if I am correct or not, and if not why not? Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your definition of entanglement is a bit off. A state is entangled if it cannot be written in terms of a product of two (or more if your looking at many qubits) single qubit states.
i.e. if Alice and Bob share two qubits in a general state:
[tex] \vert\psi_{AB}\rangle=a\vert 00\rangle+b\vert 10\rangle+c\vert 01\rangle+d\vert 11\rangle[/tex]
then this state is entangled if and only if it cannot be written as [itex]\vert\psi_{A}\rangle\otimes \vert\psi_{B}\rangle[/itex]

With this definition you should be able to see that a measurement carried out on a qubit in a non-entangled state will not affect the other.

I hope that clears things up

1. What is an entangled state in quantum mechanics?

An entangled state in quantum mechanics refers to a state in which two or more particles are intimately connected and behave as a single system, even when separated by a large distance. This means that the properties of one particle are dependent on the properties of the other particles in the entangled state, and any change in one particle will instantaneously affect the others.

2. How are entangled states created?

Entangled states are typically created by taking a system of particles and applying a specific set of operations or measurements to them, which results in the particles becoming entangled. These operations can include quantum gates, superposition, and measurement.

3. What is the significance of entangled states in quantum computing?

Entangled states are essential for quantum computing as they allow for the creation of qubits, which are the building blocks of quantum computers. Qubits in an entangled state can store and process significantly more information than classical bits, making them crucial for the potential of quantum computing to solve complex problems more efficiently.

4. Can entangled states be used for communication?

Entangled states cannot be used for communication in the traditional sense. This is because any attempt to measure or observe the properties of the entangled particles will cause the entanglement to break and the particles to become unentangled. However, entangled states can be used in quantum teleportation, a process in which information about a quantum state can be transferred from one particle to another without physically moving the particle.

5. Are there different types of entangled states?

Yes, there are different types of entangled states, such as spin entanglement, polarization entanglement, and energy entanglement. These different types of entanglement refer to the specific properties of the particles that are entangled. For example, in spin entanglement, the particles' spin states are entangled, while in polarization entanglement, the particles' polarization states are entangled.