1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Mechanics Entangled States

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've been asked to find out if nyh6aq.png are entangled states or not

2. Relevant equations

I thought an entangled state was one where a measurement of one qubit revealed the nature of the other qubit in the state

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I am correct in my definition of an entangled state then a) and b) are entangled as measuring a 1 or a zero in a) reveals the state of the 2nd qubit, and there is only one type of qubit in b). c isn't entangled as measurement of q1 does not reveal the nature of q2?
    Could someone please tell me if I am correct or not, and if not why not? Many thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2012 #2
    Your definition of entanglement is a bit off. A state is entangled if it cannot be written in terms of a product of two (or more if your looking at many qubits) single qubit states.
    i.e. if Alice and Bob share two qubits in a general state:
    [tex] \vert\psi_{AB}\rangle=a\vert 00\rangle+b\vert 10\rangle+c\vert 01\rangle+d\vert 11\rangle[/tex]
    then this state is entangled if and only if it cannot be written as [itex]\vert\psi_{A}\rangle\otimes \vert\psi_{B}\rangle[/itex]

With this definition you should be able to see that a measurement carried out on a qubit in a non-entangled state will not affect the other.

I hope that clears things up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook